Best early morning pastries DTLA

Going to Universal Studios on Saturday. They open at 9am. Looking for a place in the DTLA area with good pastries and coffee. The top choices right now are Proof Bakery and Tartine Silver Lake. Both are a little off the beaten path for us but worth the 15 minutes detour.

Anybody else have other good options? Caveat is they need to be open at 8am on Saturday.

1 Like

Valerie, Friends and Family (not far off the 101 between DT and Universal), Clark Street might be convenient. Can’t believe all 3 of my first thoughts - Konbi, Baker’s Bench, Gemini - don’t open til 9.

But honestly Proof is probably the best if you’re willing to make that detour.

2 Likes

My first thought was also Proof

1 Like

Doubting Thomas

2 Likes

The Donut Man & Eggslut and G&B Coffee bangbangbang at 8AM at Grand Central Market

2 Likes

Might I suggest Lou The French on the Block in Burbank on the other side of the hill from Universal?
Croissants on par with Chaumont. Plenty of pastry options in the morning and some pretty good coffee, too. I’d suggesting putting in an online order as they can be busy and are still only open Friday - Sunday.
Also a hop, skip and a jump away is the Burbank location of Hank’s for bagels. Easy way to carb up before an adventurous day.

2 Likes

Warrior: stumptown (near bestia) plus white miso kouign amann is good, or at least it used to be good.

1 Like

Pitchoun is open at 8a on a Saturday and it’s right in DTLA.

2 Likes

G&B or Go Get Em in DTLA would be my pick.

Under the radar option close to Universal: Petit Trois in Sherman Oaks opens at 8:00 a.m. on Saturdays, and you can actually go up to the front and order croissants to go. They are fucking great.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think we are probably going to stick with Proof or try Doubting Thomas.

And All Day Baby. I was surprised so many places open late on the weekends.

Was thinking about this but want to try something new since we’re not out this way. 8am is early for me to bangbangbang. Might do a Holbox, Tire Shop Taqueria bangbang on the way home.

I feel weird going past Universal but I’ll try to get here one day.

2 Likes

Not exactly pastry, but Huge Tree Pastry in Monterey Park is freeway-close, opens early and has Chinese brekkies, and fan-tuan to-go.

1 Like

Doubting Thomas is a good choice. Their pastry case is always packed with goodies. They posted that they just launched a bunch of new fall seasonal pastries.

I don’t usually like espresso cocktails, but their Espresso Old Fashioned is great, especially if it is a warmer morning. Just make sure they don’t add too much syrup.

2 Likes

Doubting Thomas was fantastic. You could feel and taste the butter oozing out of the croissant. Look at those layers.

Peach galette, ham n cheese croissant and braised pork belly burrito all well crafted and delicious. The galette had this crunchy streusel like topping and combined wonderfully with buttery crust and sweet late season peaches. I’d eat one of these every day if I could afford it both from a caloric and financial standpoint.

There was an unexpected large volume of ham in the croissant. A outstanding version.

Burrito came with bright smoky green salsa and marinated habanero onion topping. Filled with crunchy potatoes, cheese, egg and pork. No filling over powered the other.

If I lived near here we’d be here very often. Easy entrance on and off the freeway too.

16 Likes

Always wondered about the places in Silverlake and environs, over the last 20+years, that serve breakfast-y stuff but don’t open until 9:00 am, and I have engaged in unflattering,un-Bodhisattva-like thoughts about their likely clientele….

1 Like