Best Pasta Dishes in Los Angeles

You’re obviously right WSG but I think mentally if I have a few bites versus the whole dish it feels less rich. At least that’s what I tell myself. All bets are off when it comes to that Raku foie gras bomb. That dish is so rich it’s almost inedible, even though I had every last bite.

pasta w/natto? mentaiko works for me, but not natto. a chacun son gout

What about the best Cajun or creole pasta?

Who has a good cream pasta?

Squid butter udon at Marugame Monzo

1 Like

personally, for me, “all bets are off” when it comes to rich frozen desserts,
especially rich frozen desserts that involve CHOCOLATE.

seems to me that some dishes are better suited in smaller servings and savored, perhaps as part of a tasting menu.

WSG are you not a sweets person in general? It’s the coldest day of the year and I’m going to the clippers game tonight. Trying to figure out if I have enough time to make a detour for ice cream either at GCM or Salt n Straw. I somehow lost 1.5 pounds between Tuesday and Friday so I think I deserve a treat.

there are sweets and there are FROZEN DESSERTS.
the only sweets to which i became addicted were created by carlos when he was the pastry chef at cafe del rey.
on the other hand, i my love of frozen desserts is much broader. . .

only got to go to Bucato twice…great experiences!

Beef tongue gnocchi with perigord truffles at Redbird.

$8/gram supplement for the truffles.

1 Like

We all pray Funke comes back to LA and gives us those glorious pastas again.

1 Like

What is that, four grams?

I think each shaving is probably roughly a gram, so closer to 8-10 it looks like. Pretty sexy for the truffle lovers out there. I wonder if they have high rollers walking in and just having them shave an entire $10,000 truffle onto their gnocchi haha

I wonder when one of the resident truffle-lovers will post about their Maude meal?

I had a friend who went for the white truffle tasting, but she did the vegetarian… I know right. :frowning:

The only thing I got from her was that it wasn’t as good as Per Se. Not sure that’s a like to like comparison, but a comparison nonetheless.

I, for one, would not want a meal based entirely around truffles. One course followed by another with truffles, and more truffles.

Sounds good in theory, but in practice I fear it would get redundant rather quickly, making even a decadent and treasured ingredient like truffles seem overplayed.

In fact, I’m not so sure I’d want that meme with any type of ingredient. No matter how decadent or plebeian.

1 Like

Porthos called. He says your membership to the Ballers Club has just been revoked. :smile:

What??

I was a member?

1 Like

Went and had that mandilli at FK, pretty good actually. Was really surprised how hearty it is given how delicate it seems.

Their modenesi are also not bad, though quite salty. Still if one like cream, salt, and truffle they make for a pleasant $30 batch of pasta that may be the closest thing to plin we seem able to get in LA’s pastaverse (why is that btw?? =()

1 Like

The mandilli di seta really is fantastic there.

I remember Piccolo Venice had some excellent plin style pasta with fresh white truffle shavings, but they are no longer operating.