Bicyclette Bistro Soft Open (Pico-Robertson): A Pictorial Essay

The soft opening of Bicyclette Bistro, in the old Picca space on Pico Boulevard, offered lucky diners a glimpse into the mind of Chefs Walter Manzke and Margarita Manzke: Classic bistro fare, but with a slightly lighter seafood bent.

Sergio in da house…

Full bar…

Iced Taylor Bay Kumamoto oyster, barrel-aged mignonette… Nice.

Baguettes call to me…

Baguette with Reudolf le Mennier Normandy butter, accompanied by duck liver mousse, Pudwell Farms blackberry gelée… And to imbibe: A nice glass of Meyer-Fonné 2019 Vin d’Alsace Réserve riesling… I could chill here all day with just this going on.

Edwards Virginia smoked and aged Surryano ham with saucisson sec… Expertly sliced, which really brings out the flavors.

Smoked salmon rillettes, salmon roe, horseradish… Delectable! Running out of bread, fast…

Mussels à la Marinières… Classic. Not overly buttery. I only wish there was more soup to dip my baguette in…

Bouillabaise, with rock cod, mussels, clams, prawns… Soft and tender fish (the kitchen deftly avoided overcooking this), and very generous with shellfish…

French fries, with tarragon aioli… Top 5 fries in L.A. Huge bite.

Roasted chicken leg, sauce coq au vin… And to pair: Domaine Ogereau 2017 Anjou… Poulet was a tad dry, but the sauce was wonderful.

Dessert time!!!

Both the apricot tart and the cherry look great…

Cherry tart… Superb.

Caramel pot de crème with pressed coffee… Borders on cloyingly sweet, but I can see how others with a sweet tooth will disagree with me on this.

A really solid soft open (#OxymoronAlert) by team Bicyclette Bistro - Food, drinks, and service were all near flawless. I envision a bustling bar dining scene here. Chef Manzke hints at a tasting menu format in the larger upstairs space (Bicyclette proper), coming very soon.

RECOMMENDED.

Bicyclette Bistro (soft open)
9575 Pico Bl.
Los Angeles, 90035
bicyclettela.com

25 Likes

Is there anything going in downstairs where Sotto used to be? Bicyclette is at the top of my list when we get back to LA.

No mango passionfruit pie?

1 Like

the downstairs is the currently open bistro, the upstairs will be a tasting menu only space coming soon.

4 Likes

It’s still in soft open phase, so there was limited dessert selection.

2 Likes

We ordered all of the desserts (Cherry Pistachio, Lemon, and Chocolate Tarts and Caramel Pot de Creme). The Pot de Creme looked like Creme Brûlée and I wasn’t excited when it arrived at the table, but it was delicious. The lemon was my favorite. That apricot tart looks amaze balls.

3 Likes

Had a wonderful meal at Bicyclette (downstairs bistro) last night. Started with kumamoto oysters which were fantastic. The Bouillabaisse was also exceptional. The staff was extremely attentive. The General Manager Patrick could not have been more gracious and took us on a tour of the upstairs which promises to be one of the more ambitious openings in a long time. We will definitely be back to the Bistro regularly.

3 Likes