Birdie G's

Enjoyed a great meal here last night. Burrata and tomato appetizer looked complicated but was delicious and very balanced; highlight of the evening. Crab cake with potatoes o’brien was superb, if maybe a bit undersized for the price. Plate of summer veggies was perfectly cooked and seasoned (not too salty), and I loved the smokey sauce on the side. Kiddo had the sloppy “Jeremy” with beef-strawberry bolognese–it was quite rich but the greens on top helped to brighten up the flavors. And for dessert we went for the strawberry rose petal pie. I agree with some that the flavor is muted, but was nonetheless a nice, light dessert.

3 Likes

Sardinians call those malloreddus. 100% semolina.

1 Like

Still absolutely fantastic, and likely one of the best restaurants on the Westside. I was worried that they didn’t make it through, but they did, and are almost better than before.

We had the special - Fried Chicken, easily the most tender, and delicious I’ve eaten - no heavy batter, really light. Also shared their spectacular Kugel, savory and sweet. Matzo Ball soup as spectacular as always.

6 Likes

meh… i dont what to even say about it… just meh. food was well executed but honestly i found it difficult to find items i wanted on dinner menu…

had tatarsky and the chicken… atmosphere was lacking and that’s surprising since i was already sauced and can have fun anywhere… had good company… music was so bad i thought it was ironic but no… i dont know why i wanted more but i did. milkshake dessert at the no atmosphere bar (6 people running around servicing main room and not much of a bar scene on a friday night felt like an airport bar counter) later was best bite definitely. i’m sorry i’m coming off rude about it too because i am actually quite a fan.

food at moqueca next night was significantly more exciting

5 Likes

charcoal?

Too bad you didn’t enjoy your meal. Doesn’t sound like things were cooked badly, just the style didn’t resonate with you? I agree on the bar scene (or lack thereof), especially in the COVID era when people aren’t necessarily in the offices nearby. Might be more lively after work before dinner, but I wouldn’t expect it to be any good further into the evening. It is very much an area that services cocktails to the main restaurant that happens to have seats at the bar. It’s a shame, because I think their cocktails are quite good, especially when they use season fruits or vegetables. I probably would have recommended one of the beef dishes, especially since they do their own dry aging in-house, but it sounds like the dry-aged tartar was disappointing. Also their vegetables, which is really what Jeremy Fox was known for.

4 Likes

I had fun, food was good, Just shouldn’t have expected the world. Mazza was great. I did like the tartar flavor a lot though didn’t necessarily impress me with the presentation . Chicken needed a side. Got a 2nd cornbread. Makes sense regarding veg… the dollop of purée next to chicken was remarkable

It’s just a weird location. We like to go visit the art galleries at bergamot station, especially the black and white nude photographs of indigenous people. But it’s not the location that comes to mind for dinner.

Not a weird location for many, since it’s always completely full and I see walk-ins turned away all the time (I imagine they’re walking over from Bergamot). We go a couple times a month, it’s a favorite.

1 Like

We’ve been intending to go back. I see it in our near future. Thanks!

Second visit Wednesday night with a surprise out of town visitor. Last table seated but didn’t feel rushed despite it being a bit of a slow weeknight. Sat at the patio and it’s quite lovely.

Highlights were Beets, Nectarine’s (subbing for plums), Tartare, Mushrooms and Grouper. Lamb was great too. Cornbread was good but just reminded me I need to go back to Hatchet Hall soon, if only for the cornbread. LOL

1 Like

Happened to catch a last minute seat at their new tasting menu and we had a great time. They’re clearly trying to make sure service is on point and the chefs are super nice and willing to answer questions. High QPR at $150 for 6 courses and $75 for the wine pairing (5 half glasses of wine and an aperitif). I can see them charging more in the future once they get their feet under them. Matt Schaler was running the show tonight and plating most of the dishes. Next month is seafood apparently so the menu will change quite significantly. There’s a good amount of pickles and acid throughout and the wine pairings did a great job of matching the food.

Nice way to start the meal (this was for two people). Highlight was the liverwurst and the fancy onion dip pinwheel. Love that they made their own mustards with a lot of in house preserves and ferments.

Very tasty, slight bitterness from the uni matched well with the wine.

Delicious rendition of a blood sausage. There was a matzo dough center that’s a little hard to see where. Crispy and earthy without overwhelming iron flavor. Pickled chanterelles were a flavor bomb.

Dry aged beef ribeye (aged in house ~30+ days) with a tomato chip and fresh tomato slice layered between the beef. They take the rest of the tomato and turn it into a fresh tasting sauce.

Just as you start to wonder what you’re going to do with all the leftover sauce, they bring you a nice hot bowl with some bread also made with tomato

Cheese course is well done. The cowgirl creamery cheese is quite intense by itself, but well balanced when combined with the persimmon loaf (in the style of zucchini bread, then thinly sliced and toasted). The preserved green walnuts are accented with baking spices which works really well. The black truffle is confit in oil before being combined with more walnuts and their syrup, the black truffle flavor is intense and amplified by the walnut with no added truffle oil. Delightful.

Who thinks to combine tahini and caramel? It’s delicious though. In addition the grapes, they also had fresh dates. The mahlab is apparently a bitter inner seeds from cherry pits?

16 Likes

I was wondering how this tasting menu is! Thanks for the report!

2 Likes

Looks delicious but wow 150 for 6 courses is steep

It’s pretty substantial, you won’t leave hungry, and they’re doing a lot of labor and time intensive stuff in house. A lot of places in LA would break up that first course into several courses which looks more impressive on the menu. I’m struggling to think of a place that is far off this pricing for a tasting menu. Even Kinn, which starts substantially lower is nowhere near as much food unless you get the supplements and then you’re basically at the same price. Just think of it as 50% off Hayato or N/Naka and it doesn’t sound so bad :smiling_face_with_tear:

6 Likes

150pp is low market rate these days.

3 Likes

I thought Napa Rose was a steal at 8(?) courses for $150.

Anything under $200 is more than reasonable.

1 Like

Reservations for the tasting menu are popping up regularly if you sign up for the waitlist.

Yeah yall are right. Especially for how involved/inventive lots of these dishes are. That said I’m on the notify list for every day this month and just missed out on one for wednesday so I’ll be keeping my eyes out…A seafood iteration of this sounds dope

1 Like