Birdie G's

I was referring to my experience with the earlier tasting menu at Birdie G’s! Although I have experienced it in other places, not so much that I remember it as a negative. But after having the chance to dine at Hayato, it just reminded me what a difference it makes when something comes out at exactly the right eating temperature just after being cooked.

A little digging produces this: The Nibble: Types Of Truffles

I wonder if it was truffles from Perigord, but a different varietal (the tuber brumale)?

2 Likes

I heard “france”

1 Like

There you go. It was all in my head :poop:

Doesn’t look like a brumale.

Was similar in our experience. Chef was waiting for other parts of the kitchen used by regular service or hands at various points and dishes languished

1 Like

Struck out for every night of Hanukkah I was interested in…didn’t even see the option to get tickets. Someone must have botted these.

Did you have early access? They opened up the reservations 24 hours before the public release for those with “Global Dining Access”.

On November 7 at 10:00AM PST, Global Dining Access members will have exclusive access to reservations for 24 hours before reservations open up to the public. An eligible American Express® Card must be on file to unlock access. Terms apply.

Yes, I have early access. Ended up getting tix for all the ones I wanted. It appears that they held the high demand ones back, and released those at about 10:20 AM, instead of at 10:00 AM.

3 Likes

Looking forward to your report!

I have an extra reservation for the sold out Birdie G’s Hanukkah dinner with Christopher Kostow (Restaurant at Meadwood) on 12/8 at 7:30 PM for 6 people. I didn’t realize that my friend and I both made reservations for the same night. Does anyone want it? It’s a “ticketed” event, but the tickets were free, so there’s no cost involved. Not sure if I can “transfer” the reservation, but you could just check in with my name. If nobody wants it, I can also cancel without penalty.

1 Like

looks like the next iteration of Smorgasbird will be vegan
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnK32IfyRtS/?hl=en

Hey, thanks for the head’s up. I just signed up to be notified if there’s any openings.

review forthcoming?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyUeGmGOEz0/

2 Likes

Damn, quite a lineup so far.

Sean Brock (Audrey)
Katianna & John Hong (Yangban) x Caitlin and Daniel Cutler (Ronan)
Kim Alter (Night Bird) x James Shyabout (Commis)

4 Likes

Junghyun Park (Atomix)
Mei Lin (Daybird) x Jon Yao (Kato)
Justin Pichetrungsi (Anajak) x Dave Beran (Pasjoli)

5 Likes

so these 8 night dinners are more comfort food/family style than high end right? wanted to consider anajak Thai or kato/daybird night but from what I hear we’re not getting their signatures, right?

Last year it was the Birdie’s menu with 3-4 dishes from the guest chefs.

1 Like

As @mzonelli says if it’s like last year, it’s an a la carte menu with specials from the guest chefs. Intentionally so to be more accessible to people from their post last year. None of the dishes we had were especially expensive last year, in line with their regular menu pricing. You might not be getting their most expensive or well-known dishes, but you will get food that is distinctly the guest chef’s style from my experience. To me that was enough of a “signature”. For someone like Justin from Anajak, almost any dish from Thai Taco Tuesday would fit the format and I think that’s pretty emblematic of his style.

2 Likes

Yes! That’s right.

I got a seat for brock and for the crew from SF, I’ll probably ernd up going to just one but exciting!

1 Like

night 1 of 8 nights at birdie g’s with sean brock

highlight of the night, overhearing phil rosenthal rhapsodize to ted danson about his toto :toilet:

review forthcoming @boourns @CiaoBob?

bloody butcher cornbread, candy roaster squash

killed vegetable salad, maple vinegar & hot country ham fat

cherokee white eagle corn grits, ossabaw a’ndouilla, chanterelle mushrooms, sour corn

colonel newsom’s aged country ham, shagbark hickory, persimmon, pine pollen

audrey’s chicken & dumplings, cruze farms buttermilk, fines herbs, black truffle

persimmon & burrata, fuyu persimmon, yuzu kosho, & ACG

rice flour-battered mushrooms, king trumpets, parmesan, rosemary, & lemon

scallop & shrimp cabbage roll, shellfish sauce & chives

lemon pepper chicken, crispy lemons & herbs

new york strip

paw paw vinegar pie, makrut lime meringue & Anson Mills buckwheat groats

chilled chocolate layer cake, cashew chocolate mousse

empress date bundt cake

chocolate persimmon terrine, hoshigaki & kasha

16 Likes