Boba, bubble tea, pearl tea, milk tea, etc

#JustGetTwo

3 Likes

First saw this boba mochi on the 99ranch IG, then picked some up at 168 Market the other day. I think it was $3 for a pack of 6 small pieces, but could be wrong on the price. They actually have pretty solid flavor and good texture, worth trying if you’re a boba and mochi fan.

3 Likes

Covid-19, global supply chains, and tapioca:

I don’t know much about boba but this was pretty darn good. The lady said to stir exactly 18 times. They make the boba in house and the speciality is the brown sugar boba milk tea. Great tea flavor. The boba were warm and chewy. Not too sweet.

5 Likes

I’m two years late to the game but it was by far the best milk tea I’ve had at boba shops and I’ve never enjoyed any boba anywhere. I got light sweetness and the roasted tea flavor really comes through.

Xing Fu Tang remains my favorite for boba themselves.

4 Likes
1 Like

Ditto. Their boba is outstanding, warm and fresh. I like that they don’t accept substitutions or modifications.

3 Likes

You can still adjust sweetness IIRC?

What’s the deal with Orobae in Irvine? I see a lot of people posting about this place and waiting on hour+ lines. Right now my favorite is XingTu Fang. Their boba is awesome but they don’t do modifications. Tea flavor is good and well balanced sweetness.

1 Like

orobae sucks fatty. Their boba tends to be overcooked - their tea is burnt, it’s hidden behind a ton of creamer/dairy. It’s so popular cause it’s cheap and OC standards are ultra low

I consider myself a boba tea lover of the highest order. The very very top of the boba tea heirachy is Jin Tea in Pasadena. Their boba is always cooked perfectly, their tea is of very high quality, each type of tea has a different texture and flavor profile. There’s no sweet fruity drinks. I’ve taken a lot of people there now and to a T everyone has named it the best boba tea place they’ve been to in LA.

13 Likes

@clayfu.boba

5 Likes

Thanks for saving me an hour of my time and the eventual backlash from the wife and kids for mediocre boba.

4 Likes

My wife makes me wait in line for Orobae. I hate it.

3 Likes

Does it come in a kitschy plastic light bulb shaped container? Cuz we all know that’s worth 2+ hours of queueing.

i have a hidden IG account that i started to document boba tea but I kept going to the same two places that it didn’t make a ton of sense (jin tea and cha redefined (sans boba at cha)).

Might restart it but one man can only have so many Instagram accounts to juggle.

4 Likes

A new contender emerges!

Smorgasbord darling and Taiwan-based purveyor Odd One Out Tea has soft-opened its new Sawtelle branch, in the old Balconi Coffee space, at OIympic Collection.

I went earlier today, and even though admittedly I’m not a die-hard boba drinker, I thought this was some marvelous alchemy. The Champion Tea and Signature Silk Boba were superb in their own ways. The mouthfeel and consistency of the boba/silk were delightful. Will ask the true connoisseurs to check this place out and report back.

8 Likes

Okay… I’m going to do my best to go tomorrow…

1 Like

I also had the champion milk tea with silk boba at Smorgasburg. I thought it was really good and would rec for anyone who likes boba milk tea. The silk boba is almost ai-yu jelly-like.

4 Likes

:sob: I thought that even though they were in their soft opening stage, I still maybe able to catch them for lunch… but I went and it was closed. :tired_face: It turns out that they don’t open today until 3pm but stay open until 10p… so if anyone needs a post work pick me up… head on down and report back. I’ll give them a little bit now to see what their hours are actually going to be… But for anyone wanting to avoid heartbreak after today, check their insta…

So instead I got a regular unsweetened iced tea at 10 Speed Coffee and used my Boba allowance for today’s special at the Tempura House… Ebi Fry! I’m happy!

9 Likes

Oh, I never check the specials board (and it looks like their IG doesn’t work?)! That looks great.

Next time you’re in the area, Dong Ting is certainly worth a try (IMHO).

3 Likes