Borekas Sephardic Pastries

new takeout spot in sherman oaks selling just one item, israeli borekas. they come with four different fillings: cultured cheese & za’atar; fungi, onion and truffle; potato & brown butter; spinach & cheese. i had a hard time deciding my favorite, they were all delicious, just order OOE. each order comes with schug, tomato pulp, egg and a pickle.

pro tip: try snagging one of the few tables outside and don’t make the mistake of eating this in your car because when you’re done there will be glass like buttery shards of light flaky pastry everywhere.

pro tip 2: call ahead to place your order, open until sold out.

26 Likes

That looks worth a gluten day.

2 Likes

It really does.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Driving down Van Nuys Blvd. it looks like they have a new location at the old Four N 20 Restaurant space near Burbank Blvd.

Couldn’t tell if they were actually open for business or coming soon.

5 Likes

Finally made it there on the way back from a camping trip out to Wheeler Gorge.
Ordered over the phone about 30 minutes before we got there and it worked out perfectly. The person over the phone was very nice and walked us through the menu as first timers.
Got the Potato and Butter, Funghi, and Cheese and Honey special.
Definitely lived up to the fanfare for us.
Super flakey and tasty, sauces went well with the dish, and the pickles and hardboiled eggs really rounded it out.
I’ve never had Borekas before, but we’d definitely stop here again if we were passing by.

Oh, and on our way out to camping, we hit up Dan’s Super Subs.
We live in SGV so rarely ever make it to this area.
Tasty sandwiches in what feels like the New Yorkiest deli in LA.
Great staff, too.

7 Likes