Bracero - Revisited

Yesterday I hopped on the trolley - along with what seemed like hlaf of SD - and headed down to the farmer’s market. As usual the market was jammed packed - with probably the other half of SD that wasn’t on the trolley with me. I picked up some end of summer produce and a salami from MeatMen and headed back to the trolley. I did, however, make a slight, spur of the moment detour, and stopped in to Bracero for a late lunch and some great people watching

Getting a table wasn’t hard since the place was pretty much a ghost town, which is a shame because it’s a very comfortable room…and check out that back wall of liquor, they have pretty much the entire line of Del Maguey Mezcal up there!

So I think by now we all can pretty much agree that Bracero is rather inconsistent. When it’s good, it’s very good, when it’s not, well, we don’t want to go there,right? Yesterday it was good.

I’ve always been amused by the names on their bar menu and pleased that their cocktails are usually pretty consistent. Yesterday was no exception. Zika & Destroy married the best of Brazil and Mexico with a little France thrown in for good measure. I didn’t realize I was ordering an umbrella drink, but if you’re drinking midafternoon, why not? Cachaca, tequila, lime, pineapple and absinthe…it slid right down :slight_smile: and didn’t taste lethal at all, but let’s just say it’s stronger than it tastes and leave it at that…

I decided to go with the Masa Egg w/Beef Tartare which turned out to be a winner

An egg encased in masa and fried, split open with a decent tartare (although the beef could have been minced a little finer) on a bed of potato foam and a roasted pearl onion. The potato foam was actually really good and surprisingly not heavy. A fun take on steak, eggs and potatoes. The balance of flavors and textures was really good and I’d say this dish was more hit than miss.

But at $30 for lunch, I don’t think I’ll be making very many more spur of the moment choices :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I also visited Bracero fairly recently; comments here.. I thought it seemed to be doing ok after the change in chef de cuisine.

2 Likes