Breakfast Burrito

I read about these guys on lataco. I like the concept of a smaller burrito with a corresponding lower price for a quick meal in the morning. But them only being there M-F makes it tough. It makes sense though since their market are the office workers.

2 Likes

I think that’s the draw of lucky boy big ass burritos with tons of cheese and bacon.

1 Like

I like Lucky Boy BB because bacon, eggs, cheese, hash browns, and avocado is, usually, all I really want in a BB. I can make it at home, but it would take, like, four pans to make everything (I don’t have a giant griddle :pensive:) and I don’t want to do all that work for a BB. Plus it is close to home, which is significant.

I love me some Angry Egret, but that’s a different BB category :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My last couple of visits to Nates were a bit underwhelming (pre pandemic) since the potatoes were kinda soggy even eating in. Athenian is so solid in every facet from the doneness of the tortilla to each item inside.

2 Likes

I used to be a Nate’s regular, and did not mind the soggy potatoes. Enough people must have complained, because on my last visit a few years ago they were ridiculously crispy. Whatever happened, I’m sure they’ll cook to your preference if you ask.

2 Likes

That’s too bad the crispy potatoes is a Nates signature can’t believe they will f that up.

Athenian BB looks ridiculously good. The tortilla looks nicely crisp! It’s also slightly orangish. It is my belief and personal taste that a breakfast burrito should be finished on the flat! The way it’s constructed is almost omelet like with the egg surrounding the fillings.

Salsa verde is also a must!

Have you had Ham N Scram and Nicks?

2 Likes

There are so many (apparently) Greek owned burger places in Southern California that fit into the “hood burger” type. I’ve wondered for a long time why so many of these places are Greek owned but only heard partial, anecdotal explanations.

They also can vary widely in quality from location to location within the same chain (eg, Dinos, Troy Burgers) suggesting some independence from each other either but the breakfast burritos are always a safe bet.

1 Like

an added bonus is that many of them also make half-way decent gyros too!

True!

Anyone try the breakfast burrito from Roxy’s at the back of that liquor store in San Gabriel yet? They advertise it with Choriman chorizo and it sounds pretty tempting. I hate that parking lot so I haven’t gone yet.

Uh, wut? This place? That’s in the same one mile corridor where we do, like, 90% of our grocery shopping. Man, I’m getting schooled all over the place today.

I guess I’ll have to add Yuca’s on the to do list for cochinita pibil BB

Yep, that’s the place. I’d be curious to hear how it is. Maybe curious enough to go myself one of these days.

1 Like

It isn’t very good.

1 Like

I wonder if they would throw a country fried steak and gravy in a breakfast burrito if I begged…

6 Likes

Update:

She was completely unfazed by the request. Hashbrowns are not as crisp as I like and gravy is a little thin but the bites of everything together with the green salsa are fantastic.

20210815_081154|375x500

9 Likes

Wow nice find, which place is this exactly?

1 Like

That’s Athenian in Buena Park.
Edit: wrong place.

Chicken fried steak and gravy in a breakfast burrito! Lol that’s awesome!

3 Likes

Actually that was Athenian III - you can always tell by the orange tortilla. The Wawa cup was a little Philly hat tip…

2 Likes

I used to order a customized breakfast burrito — corned beef hash — at a deli near my old work.

Damn, miss those.

3 Likes