Breakfast Burrito

Sounds excellent!

Currently marked as “For Subscribers,” here’s Bill Addison’s list:

And here’s a handy form where the LATimes asks what breakfast burritos were left off the list:

4 Likes

Wow, great list, lots I haven’t tried. I think he’s missing the Smoky bean one at Go Get Em Tiger, and definitely think he’s missing the one at Azteca.

2 Likes

Most definitely; even more troubling to me is that there isn’t a single place on the list in East Los – seriously?! For that to be such an oversight, quite frankly, calls into question the usefulness of the entire list for me.

My last few times at Azteca weren’t good. I can’t see the list anyway.

I also don’t think the breakfast burritos at Azteca are that great. Their lunch stuff is much better.

I’m not sure that the list not containing locations in ELA is of any significance, much less an oversight.

2 Likes

Really? Why’s that?

Los Angeles is a large area and I’m sure there are great BB all over. Plus, the list is subjective, basically an editorial, and simply provides some examples of what the writers think are great BB. To say it is an oversight implies that the writers’ opinions are, inherently, wrong - which conflicts with what an opinion is in the first place.

2 Likes

Maybe i am unclear on what is East LA but the list has spots in Boyle heights, el serno, Highland Park

3 Likes

I actually thought you were just trolling / riffing off of your instigation in the other thread…

But if you’re serious, please list away. I don’t associate ELA with BBs, but will be glad to try.

Your comment could just as easily have applied to this FTC thread. Outside of couple mentions of Azteca, not one ELA post. (which I suppose, calls into question the usefulness of this entire thread)

1 Like

I assumed that strongoxman is specifically referring to the unincorporated area of LA County called East Los Angeles in which Azteca is located.

1 Like

Chef Jonathan Perez’s Macheen pop-up at Milpa Grille in Boyle Heights boasts a phenomenal breakfast burrito. It was definitely a huge bite during my chow rundown back in March. I believe the Macheen popup is still ongoing.

2 Likes

I agree with your pushback on the Vietnamese list thread. I think you made a good point.

Re: breakfast burritos
(This is a question that comes from a place of ignorance. I simply don’t know.)
Do the people that live in East Los eat breakfast burritos?
My impression is that breakfast burritos are more popular with non-Latinx millennials and younger.

2 Likes

Ain’t nobody got time for this

3 Likes

If Azteca made a chicharron, egg, and hash browns (instead of their potatoes) BB, then I’d be more apt to go back for breakfast.

Just saying :slight_smile:

1 Like

and leave the beans out of it.

1 Like

The Macheen pop-up is still going strong at Milpa Grille. I’ve enjoyed many a burrito there. I didn’t remember where the rec came from. So, thanks for the rundown!

3 Likes

looks good. What kind of meat?

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/6/a/6a75226c89bbc7deaea74b5bb94349751dff0b95.jpeg

2 Likes

Birria!

1 Like

i consider that a fair question. hoping to learn more about mexican cuisine in LA, i got a copy of bill esparza’s LA MEXICANO recently. i recall reading a passage about how mexicans typically order burritos for dinner while non-mexicans are more likely to order tacos; the idea being that tacos are typically eaten later in the evening but not for dinner. it’s quite possible that burritos are not considered breakfast fare in ELA. IIRC places like burritos la palma don’t open until 11am.

what pochos (LA raised mexicans) may have grown up eating for breakfast at home is another matter. for example, for pochos, apparently bologna tacos are a thing, and esparza considers pocho cuisine a legitimate subset of mexican cuisine.

if we ever made a list of breakfast sandwiches, i’d be dismayed if no one included a banh mi made with ham and egg. or just egg.

5 Likes