Breakfast Burrito

Well said, lol as a pocho I ate / eat plenty of ham and swiss or munster quesadillas with blender salsa. I enjoy a good breakfast burrito but i think most Mexicans from Mexico would think of burritos as lunch food unless you are doing construction where you are burning a lot of calories early. We are more married to the concept of the family dinner than most Americans -burritos would not really be common their either.

But I’m curious what @Dommy thinks

5 Likes

The “Pocho Taco” (ground beef, orange cheese, crispy shell) at Guerrilla Tacos is one of my faves on the menu. And I confess to being bummed when Lucky Boy went authentic and switched from the big, fat, greasy, ground beef taco to carne asada which was kinda dry. That ground beef taco & a strawberry soda was my jam. :blush:

Can I still be a member of Food Talk Central?

16 Likes

In a knife fight? No rules.

2 Likes

Tried Lucky Boys this morning. I take back what I said earlier, It’s bland. Surprisingly so. At least it wasn’t greasy. Salsa was bland too. I added my own salsa and some avocado. Was still bland. Will add some smoked salt when I eat the rest tomorrow. It could use some gooey cheese and some well seasoned potatoes.

5 Likes

I one place that I feel will never get any coverage is the breakfast burritos at Bravo Burger in Chino Hills. Get a bacon and sausage breakfast burrito and sub french fries instead of hash browns and some pico de gallo and taco sauce. Even the steak breakfast burrito is New York steak and you can get it cooked medium. Oh, and they are monstrous.

Other notable breakfast burritos is CoFax for the pastrami one or the hot link one, Strings of Life in West Hollywood. Also was pleasantly surprised by Poached in Downey as well.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Will make my way over to try!

Why sub fries for hash browns? Are these hash browns not crispy?

I haven’t been in years, but when I used to work in Calabasas the breakfast burrito at Las Virgenes Taqueria (inside a gas station) was my jam:

11 Likes

The hash browns are just standard fare. The fries are cooked well and I don’t know, something about eggs and cheese and bacon and French fries and all the other ingredients just works. Also, I believe they serve the breakfast burritos all day with French fries whereas they stop making hash browns after stop breakfast.

5 Likes

Thanks Strongman. Of course all our contributions are going to be colored by our backgrounds and where we may tread. I am no stranger to East L.A. or other more Latino super dense areas in the region. And obviously being Latina myself, I’m going to be a little closer to the cuisine based on my language, lived experience, travels and what happens to be my profession. And so with that… Breakfast Burritos… especially the ones we are talking about here… aren’t that common in Mexico. You can have a burrito for breakfast… but it’s going to be something more like a leftover wrap rather than a grand slam in tortilla, that honestly… I kinda love myself. Breakfast in ELA is more apt to be Menudo/Consume, Tamales, Champurado with a Pan Dulce amongst our early morning Latino commuter population. Then there are those big sitdown meals (Mexicans do take their breakfast seriously) like Chilaquiles, Huevos Rancheros and I recently discovered that Tierra Caliente is serving aporreado! All things you can find wonderful specimens in ELA and throughout the city. So I would not discount a thread or even someone’s suggestion because they don’t happen to list a place in a 'traditionally whatever area". There probably is a reason why a place so well known for them (any number of them mentioned here) is selling so many where they are.

12 Likes

LOL!! I am not what one would ever consider a Pocha because I was so deeply raised ‘in culture’ being that our culture was not well (and in some ways still isn’t) represented in L.A. and I was shipped to Yucatan often. Coupled with my own interests, education and career path (as a result my Spanish accent freaks everyone out since half of it was bought). If anything… I’m perhaps a Chipster… But labels aside…

Even so… I ate plenty of ground beef tacos and you can find ground beef tacos and guisados all throughout Mexico. Picadillo in fact pretty Latino agnostic. In fact one of our most iconic dishes, Queso Rellno… is relleno with ground meat… So @TheCookie you are good. :wink: There is a reason why Wes included it on the menu and gave it that name. We forget that even within our own communities, there are certain ‘leanings’ cough northermexicans cough which then try to impose their versions of things as the benchmark. When in fact, all our Amas were just trying to get us fed and them sane. Danish Ham Quesadillas were APLENTY in my childhood. And still has a warm place in my part (although my Chipster @$$ prefers the Paris Ham from Les Trois Petits Cochons – which also makes excellent Tortas with lots of yellow mustard, lime mayo, pickled jalapenos and a HUGE wedge of Los Altos Queso Fresco)

10 Likes

I figured as much! Just trying to protect my Pocho ass incase i said something culturally incorrect I figured you’d correct me lol.

We had ground beef tacos plenty but it had nothing to do with the spice packet stuff. More braised with canned tomatoes, chilies, green onions, bouillon ect

3 Likes

Oh yeah… a GOOD Picadillo isn’t taco meat… it has a wonderful saucy base that just cooks down and OMG. I’ve been following Salt Cocina as of late because she cooks very closely to my mom… Knorr Suiza and all… LOL!

5 Likes

Just a bit off topic… Where do you like to go for those? :slight_smile: Or do you just usually do them at home?

Taqueria Los Anaya. It’s hard to get them any better. Add Chorizo… ask for sunny side up egg… Although lately, since they opened up their take away window not too far from us, I’ve been going to Homestate for their Migas. Although they are indeed Migas vs. Chilaquilles, they are SO SO delicious, especially with a strong dousing of their green salsa…

And they make these super crispy potatoes that are just the best thing to have with their queso. It’s been so hard to go just about anywhere else…

7 Likes

I only just got to read the LA Times article today since that’s when it appeared on Proquest. I have a few thoughts about it but after reading this thread I might have a bit more to say about East LA breakfast burritos. Please note, I’m neither an East LA native or Latinx but I’ve been eating in the area quite a bit especially for breakfast burritos. That said, this is a very anecdotal and incomplete rundown at best so there’s a tl;dr at the end if the following bullet points are understandably onerous to read through:

• La Azteca: Their breakfast burrito is good but I prefer their non-breakfast options as mentioned above. That said, the homemade flour tortilla is hard to beat so it’s our go-to non-breakfast burrito place and when we do order breakfast burritos I really appreciate the addition of nopales
  • La Carreta: Their breakfast burrito is fine but since it’s literally next door to La Azteca I likely wouldn’t order it again unless La Azteca is closed unexpectedly. However, I haven’t tried anything else they make so I’m certainly not writing off this place completely
  • El Gallo - This bakery two doors down from La Azteca offers some premade foods. I think that started during the pandemic so I’m not sure if they plan on doing it indefinitely. Their breakfast burritos seemed pretty standard but unfortunately since they were premade they were cold and not really worth comparing to other fresh made burritos. However, their chile verde and rice were both pretty great
  • Troy’s Burgers #1 (Cesar Chavez): Your pretty standard burger stand breakfast burrito. It wasn’t bad at all but I’d probably go for the nearby Troy’s Burgers #10 or the even closer La Azteca
  • Cocina Express: Serves breakfast but not breakfast burritos. They said they might offer breakfast burritos in the future so I’m keeping on an eye on it because other things we’ve had there are decent enough.
  • Vendor outside of St. Lucy’s Catholic Church on City Terrace Dr.: They’re on location most weekday and weekend mornings but since their food appears premade I haven’t tried yet and would probably try something else before breakfast burritos
  • Fat Burrito: I swung by this place twice within their stated hours on yelp (weekday evening-ish and weekend morning) and they were closed both times. I’m not sure if they’re still open but there’s been a couple recent Yelp reviews so I’ll keep checking. They seem to be reasonably sized (commensurate with their prices) and have the option to add nopales, too, so if I can catch them open I’ll gladly give it a try.
  • La Terraza - Their breakfast burritos are a bit more expensive than other surrounding options but I’ve heard they have good brunch-type food so we may try at some point.
  • Lupe’s Burritos - I’ve only tried the bean and cheese here which wasn’t quite as good as Al and Beas (but what is, really?). If I went back I’d probably try their breakfast and California burritos
  • Tamales Los Angeles - Doesn’t do breakfast burrito but I bet they would if you asked. They have fairly good non breakfast burritos and tamales so I’d like to look more into them generally
  • Additionally, places I haven’t tried at all but are earmarked are Tom’s, 1st St Burgers and La Imperial Tortilleria (although they don’t appear to have breakfast burritos). I’m sure there are other spots, too, but this is as far as I’ve gotten in the past 7 months or so.

TL;DR: I’m happy to keep looking in the East LA area but to be honest if we’re going to grab breakfast burritos we’d probably go to other nearby spots like Ernie’s or Aloha Food Factory (while they’re both still around) or Troy’s Burgers #10 off Valley which has solid diner type breakfast options all around.

12 Likes

AH! If you are specifically looking for a great breakfast burrito in ELA… look no further than Georges Burger Stand on Cesar Chavez.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPvu5A2L7jq/

Otherwise… I had smirk about El Gallo’s premade burrito. As I noted in my post… The regular clientele for most legacy ELA places in the morning are in a rush, as most people who work in ELA… don’t necessarily work there… So the grab a go burrito for noshing later is not uncommon. To me, it reminds me of trips to Disneyland…

1 Like

Definitely down for George’s breakfast burrito (or burger or lots of things!) but that’s in Boyle Heights which I think technically isn’t East LA. When I looked up the borders (which seem to be a little murky depending on what standards you use) the eastern border of East LA is Indiana or somewhere near Cinco Puntos.

But I looked that up a long time ago (I think when Leonardo DiCaprio caught flack for saying he grew up in East LA like five years ago).

Name alert: Separate businesses with similar-sounding names: George’s Burger Stand on Cesar Chavez in Boyle Heights, and George’ Burgers on Lincoln in Santa Monica/Venice…

#NorthernCafePhenomenon

1 Like

Hah! They must have been the brunt of that confusion a lot because the last time I called in an order they specifically stopped me to make sure I was calling the correct one.

2 Likes

Their arrival in Los Angeles will be characteristically low-key. They’re going with what they know: a truck parked at the Line Hotel in Koreatown. An eventual brick-and-mortar restaurant is also part of the plan.

The truck, called Hot Tacos, will have a less regional menu than their Austin locales: taco bowls, tacos (including migas), quesadillas and nachos. The idea, the sisters say, is to serve high-quality Mexican food at a reasonable price — $11 for a steak taco bowl, for example — occupying a middle ground between the fancy places and the street carts.

And from Eater