Breakfast Burrito

Not to contradict @chowumla but I thought the Rooster breakfast burritos were pretty good when we ordered them for set a couple years back. I do think tempered expectations are kind of important for breakfast burritos, though. The best expensive or “fancy” breakfast burritos don’t really wow me much more than very well done basic breakfast burritos and I think the Rooster is kind of in between those two categories.

4 Likes

Agree. This is a neighborhood spot for us, and we love their special crema, but I would not drive a long distance for it. However, if you are nearby, well worth a sample.

For breakfast burritos in SGV, I like Yuca’s in Pasadena and Spanglish Kitchen in Alhambra

In Cypress:

And something better than a breakfast burrito, per Bill Esparaza:

5 Likes

LJ’s Lil’ Cafe is legit.

A few folks have visited since the Eater article went live.

3 Likes

Low Key and Los Chingones looks so damn good.

the prices are good too and LJ’s

1 Like

DAMN

6 Likes

Yes! I can’t wait to try it!! I’ve been hearing wonderful things about them and I already love that Food Hall because they have Pez Cantina!

2 Likes

Glad to hear Pez is good! I really like Cafe Santo and SolRad is pretty great. This beef cheek burrito sounds too rich for me, tho I love the story, but their burgers and other breakfast burritos are very solid.

2 Likes

I really have enjoyed all my meals at Pez in DTLA. It’s even more super convenient to me with the new train station right by it. I also really liked their dishes at the BLVD MKT… although now that I looked it up… it appears that it’s closed! :dotted_line_face: I guess that is why SolRad is in but theirs is a different concept. More Burger heavy and I’m skeptical about the Pasilla Rings. That is part of the reason I haven’t had a huge urge to rush over there a try.

2 Likes

“per Bill Esparza”

did no one else experience a cognitive dissonance when someone who blasts others for appropriating his native cuisine talks about a cuisine that’s not his native cuisine? and woe to anyone who wants to suggest that everything south of the border belongs in one category, so that would make esparza the ideal candidate to pen this particular article. i’ve met plenty of central americans who bristle at being categorized as being mexican.

Let’s eat and leave the food fights to Animal House.

5 Likes

WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT:

8 Likes

Call ahead.

I tried to go about 2 months ago and they said they were not available that day. I have not seen any recent social media posts on it either.

1 Like

Not quite the same but you can do fun things like a pastrami egg and cheese sandwich and scrambles at Langers.

2 Likes

Good call, thanks!

1 Like

I tried Barans 2239 this past weekend and wasn’t particularly blown away. Excellent tortilla, flavorful chorizo but the tater tots had no crisp and, if you ask me, that’s the ONLY reason to include them. Solid for sure but not worth the drive from NELA!

5 Likes

Yeah, agreed. Bummer but thanks for reporting back!

2 Likes

Damn sorry you drove so far!