Breva -- Hotel Figueroa, DTLA

anyone else have any thoughts on this place? I’ve been a few times and enjoyed it very much, haven’t eaten a full meal but only a few small bites and mostly drinks. I think the bar program is excellent, they have some skilled bartenders who care about their craft (including one of my favorite bartenders from ERB). I thought the Gintonicos were gimmicky at first but then when I had a couple, I was convinced – I really liked them, they’re made with good ingredients, and the liquid nitrogen is a cool (literally) touch.

Wasn’t a fan of the potato slices/wedges, would have preferred thin fries.

No. 3 gintonico (with grapefruit, rosemary, balsamic fir, three cents grapefruit tonic); Mi Tierra (del maguey mezcal, tapatio tequila blanco, green chatreuse infused with jalapeño, lime, agave). both excellent
IMG_3021

Grilled oysters. The oysters were meaty and the sauce was lovely, great balance of buttery richness with lemony acid and the herbal greens (parsley?).
IMG_3024

3 Likes

Hi @brritscold -

Belated welcome to FTC.

Did you ever go to the hotel, restaurant or bar before the remodel? How does it compare?

I can be annoyingly nostalgic. We loved the funky, Moroccan, bohemian Hotel Figueroa - even the dark, barely modernized rooms where you could most tell the hotel was formerly a YMCA, and the quirky owner, who my cousin kept calling Rick (from casablanca).

Anyway, I’m curious about peeps’ thoughts on this latest version?

P.S. Good report.

1 Like

That looks like a proper spanish style gin tonic! thanks for this… been craving ever since our recent trip

Decdied to stop lurking and start posting finally eh!

I definitely like the place…sort of a last minute neighborhood standby for me if all else fails. All the gin & tonics are really refreshing. Food is solid – have had their steak, branzino, and fried chicken over 2-3 visits.

Ashley and Diaz came over from ERB, very good bartenders. ERB’s old bar manager is now at Dama in the Fashion District, which I am checking out tonight. ERB isn’t quite the same now drink wise…stick to the menu drinks. Anyway, Rick’s by the pool is a fun place to hang out, but I’m waiting for the seated cocktail tasting menu upstairs to open.

Overall they’ve done a nice job with this place and you don’t have to spend $200 to have a decent meal like you would over at NoMad. It’s a one-stop shop for a fun night in DTLA.

1 Like

Seems like they still have the fun, unfussy vibe? No big trips for us this year, just stay-cations. Would you recommend?

Good fries, even better burger. For a Basque place weird, I know.

Mille Feuille, as beautiful as it is, actually tastes even better.

Good neighborhood spot, or a good breakfast meeting place (and if you’re there to break fast don’t overlook the bacon date scone).

1 Like

Yes, definitely. While it’s decidedly nicer than pre-renovation, it’s still casual. Maybe a touch more fussy than Freehand, but less fussy than NoMad.

On the flip side, I’ve never been there during the day, so I don’t know how it would be to stay there if you wanted to lounge by the pool in peace. Rick’s by the pool doesn’t really get going until 10-11pm+ and I can’t comment on noise for guests on the weekend.

1 Like

Thanks @DTLAeater.

Maybe we’ll do weekdays. :wink:

That dry-aged burger is legit. Too bad they took the paella off the menu

I know - Their initial paella promo photo looked legit.

Paella. No good.

Thanks for taking a risotto (posing as paella) for the team.