Brooklyn / Barclay Center Eats

Hello friends. I am going back to NYC for a 36 hour trip. I will be staying around Barclay’s Center and have a concert, so prime time 2 hour dinners are out. I have never actually been to Brooklyn before, so I think I’m going to make this a Booklyn-centric trip.

Below are my bookmarks - anything else I should add? I need places I can bang^6 at, so no 2000 calorie recommendations please.

Coney Island-ish
Totonno’s Pizzeria Napolitana
Randazzo’s Clam Bar
L&B Spumoni Gardens

BFE
Di Fara Pizza

Barclay Centric
Miriam
Artichoke Basille’s Pizza
Wasan Brooklyn
5ive Spice Tacos & Banh Mi
TACOMBI
DEKALB MARKET HALL

Williamsburg
PETER LUGER STEAK HOUSE
DEVOCIÓN
BEST PIZZA
OKONOMI // YUJI RAMEN
WILLIAMSBURG PIZZA - BROOKLYN
BROOKLYN BALL FACTORY
ROBERTA’S

Some additional suggestions

• Hometown BBQ
  • Paulie Gee Slice shop
  • Junior’s for old skool NY cheesecake
  • Peter Pan Donut & Pastry Shop
  • Brooklyn Kura

Places on my list to visit

• Lucali
  • Oxomoco
  • Marlow & Sons
  • Atera
  • Blanca
  • Sunday in Brooklyn
  • Shelsky’s of Brooklyn
  • A Polish place in Greenpoint
  • Puerto Viejo
  • Greenpoint Fish & Lobster Co.

Places right across the water

• Ivan Ramen
  • Russ & Daughter cafe
1 Like

I see Roberta’s. Isn’t there one in the Bronx? Is it the same? Or am I off on the name?

If you go to Lugers for lunch make sure you have a reservation. There were a good 15-20 people lined up before they even opened for lunch.

If you want a good brewery check out Other Half in Gowanus. Great brewery with wide selection of hazy IPA, stouts, saisons and other varieties but their speciality is hazy IPAs.

Other across the water bang bang options close to each other basically between Grand and Houston

• Donut Plant
  • Russ & Daughters Cafe
  • Katz Deli
  • Kossar’s Bagels
  • Joey Bats
  • Il Laborotorio Del Gelato
1 Like

Re: Lugers

I hear they have a bar for solo diners. Is that not correct? I just want this burger.

Yes I think that will work. Saw a couple of people sitting at the bar. The group of walk ins that were coming in between 11:30-noon were being quoted 30 to 45 min wait times.

1 Like

Thanks for the intel, very helpful.

REALLY good??? We love Absolute Bagel but they don’t ship. I see these folks do. I WANT THEM if you can vouch for them. Not for a bang-bang :slight_smile: TIA>

1 Like

How convenient

We did a house exchange in Greenpoint a few years ago and really liked it. Had the best lox ever but, of course, I can’t remember the name.

I haven’t lived in NYC in almost 20 years. Kossars bagels were better than anything I’ve had in LA but not one of my favorite places in NYC. I’m not sure I would order these online. If I were to order bagels online I’d probably go the route of Russ & Daughters for their smoked fish even if their bagels aren’t the best either.

I ordered pastrami from Katz’s and got H&H bagels. They weren’t bad at all. Guess we need a trip east and do a test. Thanks.

Hi @Sgee - Did you make it to Oxomoco?

Unfortunately not

1 Like

My cousin is in NYC visiting his daughter and Oxomoco is on their itinerary. :slightly_smiling_face: Looking forward hearing about it.

I was there for a performing arts heavy trip and spent all my money in box offices, not re-sellers. As a happy result I ate on the fly and low cost places. Here are the ones that I really liked

Bedoin Tent in Brooklyn - walking distance to BAM
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bedouin-tent-brooklyn

Enjoyed everything I had and in particular am calling out the zataar bread and the soup (I tried something that started with an “h”. Fully spiced, and exquisite)

Michaeli’s Bakery in NYC on my way to Tenement Museum
attention @hanhgry and others who like to sprinkle vegan into their day. They had vegan options alongside of dairy, and their vegan chocolate babka was spectacular. On the dairy side, I loved the banana pecan Sufganiyah.
https://www.michaelibakery.com/menus-2

I also ate like a tourist and picked up a chocolate chip cookie from Jacques Torres.

1 Like

What is bang^6? I see that “bang bang” means having one full meal after another (which I wouldn’t recommend), but what do you like at Joey Bats Cafe? They annoyed me by violating mask-wearing and social distancing rules, including when no customers were supposed to be inside, but they’re a neighborhood place for me.

Harissa soup?

About bagels: when I used to live on the Upper West Side, I swore by Absolute, 108th and Broadway, especially their mini-bagels, which are like Montreal-style bagels. But as a review of bagel shops in - was it New York Magazine, the NYT? I don’t remember - said, you have to get them when they’re just done and still warm, for best results.

6 “meals” back to back