Bulgarini: A Non-Pictoral Essay

That’s just the cost of ingredients.

Lest we forget minor details like rent, insurance, equipment, employee wages, and, oh, labor and skill.

1 Like

no no. I wasn’t trying to determine the cost to the owner. I’m just trying to envision just how much this would be if packaged in sizes everyone was familiar with. the relationship between mass (kg), weight (lbs, or newtons, which no one besides physicists use), and volume (pints, liters) isn’t always apparent to folks.

I’m not denying that Mr. Bulgarini makes a superior product, nor that he doesn’t deserve to be richly rewarded for his efforts.

I’m not saying it isn’t worth it, but $20/pint is a pretty high bar.

I think I spent about $40-50 for that size container last year for Leo’s pistachio gelato

3 Likes

Putting an end to all the speculation: Just heard from Leo himself.

1kg of gelato is $55, except pistachio, which costs $80 per kilo. I recall paying this much for mine. (Honestly, I was just so excited he even had the pistachio in stock I just forked over my Benjamin and took whatever change came my way)

3 Likes

Damn, that means I’d have to spend about $6000 to eat my bodyweight in pistachio gelato.

Time to start saving up.

#BucketList

1 Like

For reference, “premium” ice cream costs in the range of $8-12/pint at supermarkets (generic is probably $2-3, Ben and Jerry’s is ~$4.5). 1 kg = ~1.7 pints, so Leo’s pistachio gelato is about 5x as expensive as the best mass-produced stuff (and 20-25x as expensive as the cheap stuff).

(worth it, yeah)

2 Likes

Does Siri do those conversions?

1 Like

I noticed there was talk about a movie night or something of the sort at Bulgarini… I think we can do better than that.

On their website, they are offering some sort of trip to Tuscany to learn how to make gelato/value each ingredient? Details are vague but I’m thinking we need to have an FTC meet up of sorts in the old country…

2 Likes

and 99.5% of FTC’ers exit…

As long as it includes a stop at Fiorino, then I’m in.

1 Like

Oh man how could I forget “God of Cookery”!!!