Burbank recs

I will second the Alameda Brekkie B. I’m honestly surprised it is not more popular.

1 Like

If you are willing to head down the 5 towards Alimento, Salazar is a beautiful outdoor (even prior to COVID) upscale Mexican joint. And VERY California. That would be my rec.

7 Likes

many thanks startchtrade…im leaning towards Alimento at the moment

1 Like

Lucky me, I moved to Burbank two years ago. These are some of the “best” places I can think of here, with the caveat others have already stated that it’s all fairly pedestrian. You’ll have to check the current open status of these places.

On the Toluca Lake end (Riverside Dr.) we have a Jinya Ramen. They have a lovely large patio. Also over there is an upscale Thai restaurant called Gindi Thai. They had a nice sunny space where local workers lunched… Unfortunately I can’t compare their food to the other local Thai places because I haven’t gotten around to them.

Chinese: We love Century Dragon at Magnolia and Hollywood Way. Your basic Americanized Chinese. I know they’re open for takeout. In downtown Burbank we like Gourmet 88 well enough.

Hollywood Way BBQ is fine and they’ve set up a large tented outdoor area. Ribs USA is also good barbecue, I know they’re doing takeout.

For Italian we like Ma’s Italian Kitchen which is in the shopping center with Lotus and Light.

If you’re around in the daytime, get takeout from World Empanadas and especially the tiny Le French Rooster for authentic French pastries, sandwiches, and crepes from a husband and wife team.

3 Likes

thanks avivale, I’m getting out of Burbank ASAP!

1 Like

Good call! :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah don’t bother, go to North Hollywood where there is a surprising quantity of above average legit thai restaurants.

5 Likes

Any specific recommendations?

1 Like

i personally like:
chiang mai thai kitchen
pa ord zapp ver

others to keep on hand:
krua thai
sri siam
kim thai food

6 Likes

Cool, thanks! I will look forward to checking those out soon.

Though the report was from 2017, and I’m not sure if the temple is open during the pandemic, but this writeup might help you…

2 Likes

2022 updates

• Jinya is no longer open 7 days a week for lunch and have moved to Japanese operating hours.

Mon 11:00am-3:00pm / 5:00pm-10:00pm
Tues – Thurs 5:00pm-10:00pm
Fri 11:00am-3:00pm / 5:00pm-11:00pm
Sat 4:00pm-11:00pm
Sun 3:00pm-10:00pm

• Gourmet Romano is donezo, no more roman style pizzas.

• Simple Things is no more. It’s currently undergoing a buildout but interestingly a google search of the address leads to… Chris’ Drippin Chicken by Wexler’s Deli.

• Tacos 1986 is definitely the best taco shop in Burbank.

• Raising Cane’s is now open on Olive. Is it possible to JUST buy the chicken here? Because I hate those sides.

4 Likes

Yea but they over charge you just for tenders and you have to buy the sauce separately

3 Likes

Any intel on that fish and chip place near (or maybe next door to) Lou the French? The old chip shop? Or Auld Chip Shop?

The fish and chips are very meh, but it has draft beer despite being fast casual, so that’s a plus.

1 Like
  • unincorporated coffee roasters taking over the gourmet Romano spot on riverside

• hanks parking is miserable

• F&C bang bang coming

• Silverlake Ramen now open in DT Burbank @caleb

• thoughts on Yakumi anyone?

3 Likes

Concur. I am definitely not a coleslaw lover (except on barbecue sandwiches or spicy chicken sandwiches) and those fries are just… Yeah, no.

As pointed out by @hungryhungryhippos , they do charge for the sauce but I still think buying just the tenders is the way to go.

I went by today as I was in the area, and that line had to be 30 cars long on the street, the restaurant itself was mobbed, there was a police presence. Yeah definitely not worth waiting in a line.

Some of it was because it’s brand new, but I drive by the Oxnard location all the time and that one is a mess too.

IMHO, Chick-fil-A has better flavor, but Canes sauce could easily be treated as a beverage.

4 Likes

In defense of the combo I would say you can actually create a pretty mean sandwich I hollow out the bread stuff it with tenders, sauce, cole slaw, fries, and hot sauce.

5 Likes

You animal, you.

I like your style.

3 Likes

I should have heeded this warning. This is a place that would not survive without an alcohol license.

6 Likes