Cake Shop Top 3

I went this weekend. I ordered (and paid for) my cake online and just picked up. Got a slice of chocolate cake for my brother and he said it was perfect.
The triple berry cake is magnificent.

1 Like

Karina’s vs Harriets taste off had officially been declared a DRAW

6 Likes

Requesting details. Are both red velvets? Pros/cons don’t be coy please. My birthday is Dec 28 and every few years I get myself multiple birthday cakes to make up for the years when I don’t celebrate at all. To paraphrase Fleabag, “Cake is everything. We wish it wasn’t, so we could actually think about something else occasionally, but it is. It’s the difference between a good day and a bad day.”

2 Likes

What here makes you think they’re red velvets? I’m a tad confused. I’m your birthday you should have your favourite kind of cake, do you have a favourite type?

The one closest to lens looks like cream cheese frosting, with white chocolate shavings, and maybe looks like red velvet. I assumed both were the same, as you said the two bakeries were being judged. But hey, maybe not judged on the same cake?

Years ago I loved the caramel or burnt sugar offering from Lark. It’s not currently on the online menu and my memory is fuzzy. The last couple of years I’ve been getting the dark chocolate ice cream cake from Sweet Rose Creamery. It’s dairy free and really great. The dairy free is good for my significant other who also has a late December birthday, and I’m always on the look out for cake to audition.

1 Like

Aah I see.

Karina’ did probably the best Armenian/Russian bakery and this Kiev cake is amazing. It’s multi layered with nuts, merengue, multiple creams and white cake…

Harriet’s is a cheesecake house and that’s a strawberry and cream cheesecake.

It’s not a real competition. They’re both best in class to me

What is the signature of a Kiev cake? Multiple creams? Specific flavor profile?

It’s a thing, the layers are defined… the type of dough/ cake, the creams, the walnut, the merengue. I’m not good at explaining it. Just have to get one from aunts Karina

They get the balance right… here’s the cross section

Found a better photo

5 Likes

Ooohhh will definitely have to try! Thanks for the tip.