Can restaurants be made safe during the pandemic?

Our taxes at work.

FTFY

2 Likes

It’s true that to date in California we’ve recorded only 4,833 deaths among people under 65, but many of the 923,439 other Californians who’ve caught it are suffering “long-haul” problems. And if we hadn’t been locked down in the most populous areas of the state, those numbers would be way higher.

Newsom didn’t eat indoors at the French Laundry, but he was stupid for sharing a table with people who are not members of his household. Hey, the death rate for Californians in his age group is only 1.4%, why worry? You go ahead and dance on the edge of a cliff.

Let’s just say politician–YOUR politics are showing! I was personally VERY disappointed by the hypocritical behavior in the tradition of Chris Christie enjoying a day at the “closed” beach with his family. I’d prefer a state-wide mask mandate, outdoor dining and a time limit for guests to hang-out (and drink).

1 Like

Or did he?

A post was split to a new topic: Off-topic political comments

I also would like to know if he was wearing the mask the whole time taking it off between the bites as he strongly recommended we do.

I’m pretty sure that was a mistake by some nitwit who handles the Twitter account. The same tweet also said to minimize the number of times you take your mask off.

1 Like

y’all got a few more days to enjoy that outdoor dining cuz things aren’t looking good

Newsom’s announcement comes just minutes after Los Angeles County’s health officer, Dr. Muntu Davis, announced the county saw an all-time high in daily cases on Thursday, at just over 5,000. That puts the two-day average of new cases at 4,500, a number which, if it continues for 5 days, will result in local lockdown measures in L.A.

Josh, a bartender at a restaurant in Santa Cruz who also requested anonymity due to fear of retaliation from his employer, quit his job in early October due to concerns over indoor dining … some customers became so enraged about being asked to wear masks indoors that they flipped a table, he said. “The same people who are going to be coming to dine in during a time of COVID don’t have that same concern or precaution typically that other people do,” says Josh. “… We had some customers who were really good about masking up and bussing their own tables, but for every one of those you get two people who don’t want to wear their mask and want to have a fight about it.”

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Indoor-dining-is-closed-restaurant-workers-quit-15731972.php

3 Likes

Our own California governor, Gavin Newsom, is guilty of dining at the French Laundry in a closed space (only one open wall) with people (including lobbyists) outside his household.

How does Newsom expect Californians to follow his strict rules when people like him and the Kardashians (eye roll) are partying maskless during Covid and posting it on IG.

1 Like

It’s absolutely unthinkable that the governor would attend a gathering at an establishment that peaked 15 years ago when he and top lobbyists could have dined at Chef Dominique Crenn’s strikingly inventive restaurant instead …

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Newsom-s-French-Laundry-dinner-shows-how-15748441.php

4 Likes

LOL. Love it. (Especially the Onion “article”.)

I googled how to become a lobbyist. Lol.

Did you find anything? Because I couldn’t – try as I may…

You need no qualifications. It read . You need to be good on your knees .

2 Likes

LOL I’m glad there’s still some room for levity here.

It’s clear that many of the hastily assembled dining structures in place right now, especially the ones that are essentially outbuildings, aren’t actually a COVID-safe dining alternative—they’re an unintentionally deceptive option that sometimes fits legal definitions that are themselves removed from reality.

1 Like

Yes, true. This type of an essentially fully enclosed “outdoor” area is a stretch of the intent and meaning of “outdoor”, any time of the year.

… one person (Case B) infected two other people (case A and C) from a distance away of 6.5 meters (~21 feet) and 4.8m (~15 feet). Case B and case A overlapped for just five minutes …