Carne Asada--Where to Buy Pre-Marinated?

That’s been my experience. They started carrying more USDA Select and less Choice, though it seems like they’ve brought back some Choice options. Still good for supermarket meat, but I hit Beef Palace or the Butchery when I want something special.

1 Like

Good to know.

I’m pretty sure I’ve driven by Northgate before but have never stopped, so I’m actually quite interested in trying that…

If you want to do it right I highly highly recommend La Carniceria in South Gate or Bellflower.

7 Likes

Chiming in in support of La Carniceria, which is pretty spectacular. And if you go to the Bellflower one you can pick up a marispiña from El Paradero next door…

But if that’s too far Vallarta really is awesome - honestly better than most of my local indie carnicerias, sadly.

1 Like

Select? Ugh. I went to school down in OC, as a poor college student, it was amazing to be able to treat myself to a nice steak or roast at Stater once in a while and still have it be affordable on my tiny budget. Heck, I remember foraging at the manager’s special section and meats with must sell by dates only 24 hours away. I’d be able to stretch a week of good meals from one piece of good quality meat at a low price. Those memories are what makes me think of them fondly. It’s a shame about the quality.

Their overall selection, price and quality is pretty good. They have various dried chiles and peppers that I get regularly to make my own salsa. The hot food bar as noted is good but better can be found if you have access to other carnicerias or Vallarta. Still, in a pinch, if you’re too lazy to cook and want a quick meal it’s fine.

Pre-Covid, they also had a made to order guacamole stand. The butchers are pretty friendly and you see cuts geared more for Mexican dishes. They also have a bakery with all the different Mexican baked goods and breads, tamale station, agua fresca station, seafood and salsa counter with ceviches, aguachiles, different salsas and a machine steadily churning out hot fresh tortillas. Tortillas aren’t top tier but they’re much better than your usual packaged Guerrero and inexpensive too. I usually get a pack of 50 for $2.50, keep in fridge and just toast some over the gas burner, dip into salsa for go with something else for a quick healthy snack

I’m fortunate to be close and it meets many of my standard grocery needs.

2 Likes

If you’re in the OC we like El Toro Carniceria and the mega Northgate Whole Food like experience in La Habra. El Toro Carniceria is the OG spot in Santa Ana.

1 Like

El Toro!!

A good place for party tray.

Brodard-Cream Pan-Little Saigon Egg Rolls-El Toro

2 Likes

i’ve been to parties where the spanish speaking hosts got their meat from some place but i never bothered to ask where. i can make no specific recommendation, but being relatively close to east LA there probably are some great sources. there are also a number of “latin” chains such as baja, vallarta, etc. where i assume what you could get would be at the least… competent in its preparation.

Also you can do La Princesita in East Los and get meat, salsa, and tortillas

1 Like

I’ve heard they’re a good place for tortillas- good to know you can make it a once stop shop.

Yes. @chewchow would have good ideas.

Adding to my love La Carneceria. Get both the Ranchera and Tasajo… In fact, I just used the Ranchera to make some Carne Guisado the easiest way. Seared Beef, placed aside. Cut onions, added salsa rojo of dried chiles, garlic mexican herbs and a roasted tomato. Cooked onions and slices of tomato until tender in sauce. Sliced the Ranchera against the grain and added it back to heat it through. Delicious with flour tortillas. And even better the next day with some left over polenta.

8 Likes

The carniceria Argentina Market in Pasadena on Villa has legit carne asada and a handful of health code violations. That’s the Pasadena go to.

But it’s hard to beat either location of La Carniceria. I am a +1.

BTW, has anyone tried the green chorizo from Chori-Man out of San Pedro? So good!

2 Likes

That IS legit. ;-D

1 Like

Very good! However, I think I prefer the green chorizo Ochoas. Both are really good. Ochoas is less salty and more pungent.

Most of at home Chorizo meals (and they are many!) are from the Chicken Chorizo at Exposition Poultry on Expo and Western. Great stuff. I use their ground chicken and their chicken chorizo 50/50 to make my albondigas en chile colorado…

Hi @Dommy,

Ooh! I love Chori-Man’s Housemade Chorizos (all 4 types), but what is this Ochoa’s you speak of? :slight_smile: Is it “Ochoa’s Market” on 220 W Warner Ave, Santa Ana, CA 92707?

And is it sold raw (so you cook it at home)? Thanks!

Where in the general area of Northgate Mar Vista can you get really good tortillas?

Some friends swear by La Venadita Market in Carson

We like Vallarta’s carne ranchera. I usually buy it the day before so it marinades longer. Pick up their fresh tortillas too!

1 Like