Carne Asada--Where to Buy Pre-Marinated?

If you want the ones made by their machine instead of the commercially packaged ones, they are on the counter in front of thee machine. Walk in, go past the bakery and cake counter on the right and as soon as you pass the first register, look to your right. The machine is there and the various sized packs of tortillas.

The turn is usually fast enough, you can see the tortillas still warm and steaming up the bag.

2 Likes

I do this, too! Purchase one day before use so the marinade has more time.

1 Like

They are a butcher so it’s all bring home. They have excellent chicken and soy rizo as well! If you love Chorizo and are in the area it’s worth a trip over!
https://yelp.to/qTKq/Qn92mPVrH7

3 Likes

For Asada… I prefer flour tortillas. On the Westside I would recommend the butter flour tortillas as La Monarca in Santa Monica. Very tasty. They freeze well.

2 Likes

Ooh, how come (in this context)? Texture, taste, or both?

I keep forgetting you’ve mentioned La Monarcha’s tortillas b/f. I live pretty close and need to stop by.

Because it’s actually most traditional. Carne Asada is a northern Mexico dish. Wheat grows better in the northern region than corn. That is why Mexicali and Sonora town make their tacos with flour tortillas.

Also I have long been on the record that corn tortillas in the US suck. Even the fancy ones. We have resorted to making our own. Even then, most of the time we do okay with La Tortilla Factory/Trader Joe’s four/corn blend tortillas.

Finally I do think it tastes better. Flour tortillas get more toasty and caramelized than corn. Which matches well with the cherry meat, globe onions and guacamole that I like in my Carne asada tacos.

5 Likes

Love Ochoa’s! Specifically the verde chorizo, the heat level is exactly to my preference and it is super flavorful.

Thanks for the reminder, I haven’t been in a while and could grill them up on the 4th.

1 Like

The pollo asada at Sanchez is really good, too. We prefer it to the carne asada, actually.

10000% Sanchez. Decent queso selection, as well.

I’m with you in flour tortilla asada train!

2 Likes

I am glad to know these are (relatively speaking) @Dommy endorsed. Tried them recently and was kind of shocked how good they are for store bought.

1 Like

it sounds like a good idea, but i wouldn’t recommend more than 24 hours total - and you have no idea how long the meat has been marinating before you purchase; assuming your marinade has some sort of acid in it, that acid continues to denature the protein over time. imagine 2 day old (or older) ceviche.

1 Like

One of three times I have been badly food poisoned, I did it to myself (and my dad…brother somehow was fine?) with carne asada that I bought pre-marinated and left in the fridge for ~72 hours. Closest to death I’ve ever felt.

that’s the flip side of it - the more things that have a chance to interact together - badly - they usually will.

Staying home for this holiday… we decided on do a cookout with Asada from La Carneceria. The original plan was to get the meat on Sunday early in the morning… but… yeah… that did not happen. Instead we decided to try our luck on Monday expecting a MAD HOUSE.

We went to the location we always go to, Bellflower and was very happy that the weather was remarkably cooler and the line not terribly long. They have nice system of clearly marked out social distancing point and a pop up right be the door. You can also call in orders for pick up, but they can get super busy over the phone as well.

We got our usual thin cut (Ranchera) and thick cut (Tasajo) Asada . They marinade when you buy, so it’s not sitting getting spongy. They were plenty stocked and quickly fulfilling orders… the only things that were missing was some of the produce they carry… But luckily we needed to make a stop for Guac and got the prerequisite Mexican Onions for the grill!

Even though both of these cuts come from the flank… with the marinade, a good sear and proper slicing… we got some super tender meat!

Only one thing missing… Tortillas! And La Carniceria has a have is a great selection of corn and flour tortillas… some from Mexico including Mama Lichas from Sonora! These are super thin and when grilled up, delicious and perfect for Asada

Flour tortilla, Asada, Guac and Onion. Happy Holiday indeed…

24 Likes