Cento Pasta Bar - West Adams

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm4lzfkLA44/?igshid=NDk5N2NlZjQ=

2 Likes

Not sure if the link came through but they’re doing a Persian themed night on Monday January 16th.

2 Likes

That’s sounds good. I’ve been thinking we need to get over there for a revisit. Is the Jan 16 on their site?

1 Like

Use OpenTable to book it.

1 Like

Laziz by Cento - Night of Persian Kabobs & Drinks

Chef Avner Lavi rolled out a night of Persian Kabobs and introduced Centos new cocktail program.

Fig + Walnut - Scotch, Sweet Vermouth, Apricot, Black Walnut, Fig

The cocktail program is limited at this time so no bourbon old-fashioned for hubs. He opted for and very much enjoyed the Fig + Walnut. The ice cube was crystal clear and perfectly sized. :wink:

Cellars at Roca Rosat Riserva '19 (Spain)

I am a shameless rosé lover so when the server recommended this organic sparkler with flavors of berries & cream I was in. Very enjoyable.

House Marinated Olives

This big bowl of very large olives was marinated in a mild, low acid, unsalty marinade with puréed walnuts and a touch of sweet & tart from the pomegranate molasses and pomegranate seeds.

Kashke Bademjan (eggplant dip) & Sangak (leavened flat bread)

The server didn’t have a lot of info on ingredients and it was too busy to ask her to check with the chefs. We came up with eggplant, walnuts, whey, cumin, fried shallots, kashke, probably more things and idk what the black sprinkles are. It was creamy a little smokey with very mild seasonings and flavors.

Joojeh (chicken) & Barg (prime rib cap), Grilled Tomato + Onion, Herbs, Radishes & Pickled Things

Both meats were cooked just right and seasoned very simply, a little under-salted. Hubs favorite was the Barg and mine the Joojeh. The herbs on the accoutrement plate were tarragon which I just hate and lemon basil which I just loved in my wrap with the onion and sir torshi (pickled garlic). More please. :hearts:

Saffron Rice Pudding

Pleasantly creamy with pistachios, a hint of rose and a candied orange peel. If you don’t like sugary sweet desserts this is for you. I thought the rice was a little chewy but had a nice toasty nuttiness.

Mint Tea

The tea took a bit of time coming out and when it did it gave new meaning to the term piping hot. The restaurant was filling up and we could tell they wanted to turn the table but we sat stirring and stirring before we could drink our tea lol. It was so lovely though.

Everything seems to run really efficiently at Cento considering the space and tonight was no different. Staff boxed our leftovers and gave us a number for the servers so as not to crowd the table.

We could’ve had the counter at 9pm but opted for an earlier resy on the patio. The roof & heat lamps provided good warmth and the food came out at optimal temperature. I’m not good at surreptitious Sergio photos but he was in the house and very friendly. Service was busy but friendly and attentive with one caveat - with the menu being small and curated I felt the staff could’ve memorized the components of the dishes a little better.

Laziz is a fitting name as our meal was indeed savory & pleasant. Everything was well cooked and I appreciated that nothing was too salty, but I did feel the flavors were a little muted.

Music was loud, contemporary Persian songs and after being stuck indoors with the bad weather we were glad for the liveliness.

Intel is they’re expanding to the building next door (no timeline yet) which means Cento is flourishing and here to stay! :hearts:

12 Likes

Leftovers!

Sometimes you notice things the next day that were overlooked when dining. The pickled cauliflower and onion are super punchy and delicious!

8 Likes

We just missed each other! I told Chef Avner to go ‘full throttle Tehran’ for his next Persian outing and do koobideh, tahdig and ghormeh sabsi lol…

The sholeh zard (rice pudding) dessert was quite delicious!

6 Likes

Looks great! Any idea if this is going to be a regular thing or just a one off?

1 Like

Considering the successful turnout, Chef Avner was thinking of doing it again.

3 Likes

They are expanding to the building next door at some point so the possibilities are there for a regular thing. Would be great!

2 Likes

That is tremendous news! So glad it’s going well for them at the location!!

1 Like

Delicious Meals & Wines at Cento in 2023.

Endive Caesar w/Bottarga, Tarragon, Bread Crumbs

Steak Tartare w/Tonnato + Black Lime Vinaigrette

Crudo - Hamachi, Lemongrass, Coconut Milk, Pear, Chilis, Elderflower

Charred Octopus, Purple Potato, Romesco, Celery

3-day Marinated Lamb in Yogurt + Mint. Caesar w/Lemon-Basil, Blueberries + Yogurt Vinaigrette. Accompanied by Cilantro Cumin Aioli

This frequently available off-menu special is seriously my favorite dish at Cento and a top bite of the year! The 3-day marinated lamb is tender, juicy, smokey & perfectly seasoned. You almost don’t need the cilantro cumin aioli but you’re happy you have it. I rarely eat lamb but never pass on this if it’s available. :heart:

Spicy Pomodoro - Rigatoni, Calabrian Chili, Truffle, Ricotta, Basil Oil

Gnocchi Bolognese, Ricotta, Soft Cream, 28-Month Aged Parmigiano,

Sweet Corn Agnolotti, Charred Corn, Crème Fraiche, Old Bay, Chervil

Chef Avner & Co are incredibly talented. The dishes have been executed well, on point & very delicious. :hearts: They have their groove. This is high-caliber cooking.

Dessert…

Banana Pudding Tiramisu w/Kahlua + Nilla Wafers These are a few of my favorites things and they work well together to make this my favorite dessert of the year! :hearts: The presentation of this showstopper makes other diners stop & stare lol…

There was wine…

We’ve been lucky to be served repeatedly by the delightful, Chris. He is well-versed on the wine list, giving interesting anecdotes about wines like the off-menu, Blu di Burson w/the rediscovered vines of Uva Longanesi grapes. He enjoys giving sips, finding what diners like and remembering what I drank on a previous visit. Sometimes being the only wine drinker I make do with a minimal selection of by-the-glass wines, so I appreciate his going beyond. It also helps me discover my budding wino’s palate. Servers like Chris greatly enhance the dining experience.

Fig + Walnut - Scotch, Sweet Vermouth, Apricot, Black Walnut

Not a full bar but a tasty selection of cocktails.

Looking forward to what Chef Avner & Co. do in 2024 with the space next door! Happy New Year! :dizzy:

11 Likes

Are they just adding seating next door or opening up a new concept?

I also love Cento (I live only blocks away) and wish they’d change the menu a bit more now that we’re more than a year ish in. It’s weird the corn agnolotti is avail year round.

2 Likes

Hi @mzonelli

It was a while ago when I was told but I think they said it’d be a different concept.

I hear ya about the corn agnolotti. We had the dish a while ago but looks like it’s still on the menu. They’re not the only place I’ve seen with corn agnolotti on the menu all year. :thinking:

Fresh Corn freezes really well

3 Likes

This is true. I have some in my freezer. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like