Chandavkl brings new meaning to Yelp reviews for Chinese restaurants

I hate the term “chicks.”

Regarding “mileage,” we frequently drive 50 miles one way from Lake Tahoe to Reno for dining and shopping. When we lived in SF it was time not miles. FWIW.

Geez, you people are impressive. I drive to Mozza and I’m all proud of myself.

2 Likes

I can’t even be bothered to drive over the hill.

4 Likes

Driving from San Sebastian to Etxebarri, my GPS took us on what in retrospect was probably as close as it could come to a straight line, and it took three or four hours.

1 Like

1 Like

Please tell me those egg tarts were warm.

Golden Gate Bakery in SF Chinatown has my favorite dan taat’s, I bet those babies are probably better (if that is even possible)

They were brought out fresh from the oven, If I recall correctly. And even if they weren’t let’s say they were if it increases your torment. These were from China Red last summer, by the way. As it happens I also liked Lunasia’s version a lot.

my sister’s family of five are 5% of the 100 chinese in milwaukee. and we ate at fortune when i visited them.

2 Likes

Hi @JThur01 -

No worries. I always know when I’m spending too much time on social media - in my case FTC. I start bickering about silly things. That’s when it’s time to back away or do some real food reporting :slight_smile:.

[quote=“JThur01, post:56, topic:4606”]
I’m just used to italicizing non-English dishes and using their specific names from what I do :wink: Niu rou mian is the beef noodle soup found at Taiwanese diners. Its broth is dark, with a soy sauce and five spice flavor, Quite the opposite of the broth in Lanzhou-style beef noodle soup, which is meant to be light and almost clear.
[/quote]I get it. It does kinda’ suck when you read reviews by people who think they know a dish and clearly don’t. It’s really confusing for a person (me) unfamiliar with the food. Maybe ignorance is bliss. When I don’t know I just go by taste.

I had these similar looking, but completely different beef bone soups. Not educated enough to know, I went by taste.

Beef Rib Eye Soup at Myung In Dumplings - Koreatown

This was light and comforting with no bells and whistles. Side bar: I know the place is known for the dumplings. But I don’t care for theirs… again it’s about taste.

Vietnamese Pot Au Feu at Cassia - Santa Monica

French dish with an Asian twist. This was bold, with five spice, flavorful condiments and the bone had rich oily marrow inside.

I don’t know if these soups were authentic, but l liked them!

P.S. I liked your use of italics btw.

2 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:59, topic:4606”]
This sounds like the start of a… new thread.
[/quote]For a minute there I thought you were gonna’ get all Casablanca on us.

1 Like

[quote=“raytamsgv, post:60, topic:4606, full:true”]
Elite’s version is very good. Jim’s Bakery also has them. Fresh ones usually come out of the oven after 12 PM on Saturdays.
[/quote]Thanks!

1 Like

[quote=“robert, post:65, topic:4606, full:true”]
Driving from San Sebastian to Etxebarri, my GPS took us on what in retrospect was probably as close as it could come to a straight line, and it took three or four hours.
[/quote]Whadja’ eat?

Umm… I think robert was driving to Etxebarri, which is the destination restaurant.

Something grilled I would guess! linklinklinklink

:flushed: I thought it was a city in Spain.

1 Like

Looks good

Lots of great eats en el Pais Vasco

Asador Etxebarri is the restaurant. It’s in a little country hamlet.

1 Like

Now I’m going to guess that Pais Vasco is a city :grin:?