Chandavkl brings new meaning to Yelp reviews for Chinese restaurants

Good report. Thanks.

It translates to ‘Basque Country’ from the Spanish, It’s a semi-autonomus
region -what we would consider a state -in Spain.

1 Like

Ahhh… I’m striking out today.

Does the region span to France as well? I know someone whose ancestory is Basque, from the Pyrenees. Her family is so proud of the heritage that none of the women in her family take their husband’s last names. And I don’t know if this a common trait or coincidence, but she’s gorgeous.

I bet the food is incredible. I asked the husband if he had any interest in going to Spain. He said I couldn’t go to Spain until I visited Italy. I’m like “Okay. I’ll start packing.”

DOTM - Region: Basque? I know, I know. Too complicated.

1 Like

italian cuisine has a strong rep and deservedly so, but personally, i’d go to spain first over italy for the food. not that i’d complain if i had to visit italy instead; a chacun son gout.

1 Like

You guys are so worldly!

The Basque people span both sides of the border but france is still france
and spain spain. I don’t think there is enough basque restaurants to do a
DOTM. It’s hard enough keeping the Spanish restaurants a float!

2 Likes

i think you mean earthy

Probably that too.

A lot of Basque people settled in Nevada in the Gardnerville/Carson City/Reno area. I’ve had quite a few good meals at JT Basque in Gardnerville.

2 Likes

With the new Cider craze someone should open up a Sideria

1 Like

And, of course, there are the Basque places in Bakersfield. Another area with a lot of Basque settlers.

1 Like

The Pais Vasco is a semi-autonomous region of Spain. There’s also Basque country across the border in France. When I went there I was surprised to learn that part of Rioja is in the Pais Vasco, though I probably learned that previously and forgot.

It’s one of the greatest places in the world to eat and drink even if like me you have minus-zero interest in the modernist cuisine that has gotten a lot of attention internationally.

http://archives.sfweekly.com/foodie/2012/09/24/drinking-at-upcider-sfs-first-cider-bar

Thanks.

Do you mean like elBulli? I had a friend who had a deconstructed, modernist meal at a famous restaurant in Europe. He said it was interesting and tasted good, but not better or maybe not quite as good as the un-deconstructed (if that’s a word), old school meal down the street.

El Bulli and its progeny, exactly. I’d rather read about that stuff and watch it on TV.

I don’t mind modernist techniques per se when they’re used to make things taste better. I keep thinking about buying an immersion circulator. If I were rich I’d totally buy a Rational combi oven and a PacoJet.

1 Like

We ate at their “progeny” Tickets Bar a few years ago and it was the second best meal we ever had.

Okay, you’re right cath. I minimized his description. He said it was fun and very good, no complaints. But it was not any better than…

Plus, it’s fussy.

We’re so out of control. Let’s remember the title of this thread.

That looks great. Not a tasting menu, most of the dishes look completely traditional, and the portions aren’t undersized.

1 Like