Chandavkl’s latest LA Weekly piece discusses the cracks in the great Cantonese dining wall of Los Angeles Chinatown [Rebooted]

This goose in HK was something like $20 USD (ie most certainly not in the realm of what I call “cheap”). Literal hole in the wall, our table was on top of boxes in the fucking storage closet.

3 Likes

But my god. It looks great.

“Do you think restaurants here tone it down a bit?”

We can get all the stuff I pictured pretty much anywhere there is a Chinese population with critical mass. Just not as good as here.

My take is that even the SGV have to serve dumb down food OTC (over the counter) to service the largest common denominator. More adventurous items are encrypted in Chinese characters to avoid inadvertent mis-fires. :wink:

Most likely 2nd gen ABC’s (American born Chinese) would be squeamish about trying some of the non mainstream traditional foods enjoyed by previous generations.

1 Like

Could also be a form of rebellion (“I’m not eating what my parents eat!!!”). :wink:

1 Like

“Rebellion”.

Totally agreed. I didn’t appreciate more than the basic ABC Chinese food until my late 20’s. Mom and grandmother would toil for more than a week before CNY (Chinese New Years), making dozens of traditional new year food. As a kid, I only got excited about the fresh fried shrimp chips!!!

Now, I’d give my left …earlobe to feast on their goodies again.

High on my bucket list for this trip: pomelo skins braised. Checked out Ho Hung Kee last night for the skins. They had it, but seemed too expensive. Seems to ruin the spirit of this humble dish (repurposed fruit skin) to have a gentrified version. I want a grandma’s version, darn’ it!!!

NS1: love goose, especially their big flat paws. From our cny banquet last week.

1 Like

Ahhh… Interesting. I figured it was something like that. Thanks.

1 Like