Changes in the LA Times Food Section

Patricia Escárcega officially done at the Times

https://www.patriciaescarcega.com/farewell-la-times/

4 Likes

not one mention of the bladdison, jenn, or lucas.

4 Likes

Very likely on purpose.

6 Likes

noticed that too, really I’m conflicted about the whole thing but if I’m honest with myself her writing wasn’t particularly memorable.

I do wish her the best in her writing future

2 Likes

I’m surprised he didn’t mention Addison since he did back her up on the whole thing.
I’m expecting more people leaving unfortunately

2 Likes

While that’s true, what one says in public…we can’t be so sure what happens behind the scenes. I figure there are other things we are not privy to.

3 Likes

Funny day to choose for such an announcement.

Seems legit, though, since she hasn’t published anything in the paper in three months.

Now that would be a helluva prank

1 Like

Especially when she thanked people she didn’t even meet IRL, the ommission of half her colleague is pretty glaring.

2 Likes

She didn’t mention the Guild, either, though that’s not surprising.

Interesting to see if she can find another job.

I must say that among those she did thank… on the food side and not are legit WONDERFUL people. I’m happy to know them myself and glad they were there for her.

–Dommy!

4 Likes

For lack of a better place.to put this, from Arellano: “There’s a knee-jerk familiarity with Elder any time I hear him babble. His swagger and respectability politics are what my blue-collar cousins say six Tecates into a carne asada Sunday.”

7 Likes

bladdison taking a month off

Speaking of reviews: I’ll be on hiatus for a few weeks, celebrating a milestone birthday with some time off. The Tasting Notes newsletter won’t be going anywhere, though: A few Food team colleagues will be jumping in with some fun dispatches. (Thanks, y’all!) I’ll resume near the end of May.

1 Like

I really hope next year they go back to ranking the 101 list again. just a personal preference and feel it’s a bit too “participation trophy-ish” last 2 years but totally understandable given how badly COVID affected the industry

1 Like

Ranking is bullshit. Kudos to Addison for chucking it. It’s hard enough to pare a list down to an arbitrary number.

4 Likes

everyone has a different personal preference, but there’s something more illustrious about a ranking like most things involving awards or acclaim.

James Beard continues to hand out awards

1 Like

As far as ranking goes, it always seemed like only the top 10 mattered. All the other restaurants were basically “theyre on the 101 list!”

1 Like

The James Beard foundation doesn’t rank the runners-up.

I think restaurant reviewers almost universally hate stars and rankings. Restaurants are incommensurable except in narrow categories.

Per today’s newsletter, the new food section editor is Daniel Hernandez.

1 Like

I loved the segment on Good Food on Barbara Hansen

Thank Barbara Hansen for putting international cuisine on Angelenos’ radar (kcrw.com)

2 Likes