Charcoal KBBQ

Hi FTC folks – I am looking to create a consolidated list of KBBQ restaurants in LA that still utilize charcoal in their grills. I suspect the use of charcoal is limited to grandfathered restaurants only and new restaurants are required to commit to gas only to comply with newer health codes.

I am only aware of Soot Bull Jeep. I’ve been to Soowon Galbi and Brothers Galbi and during my last experiences at those restaurants, the grills were gas grills with what appeared to be lava rocks (??) to mimic the appearance of charcoal. Could have been off days as these were the early indoor dining reopening days. As such, I am hoping the discerning eyes at FTC are more reliable than misleading review on Yelp.

3 Likes

Welcome to FTC!

Its Yakiniku, not KBBQ, but Manpuku in WLA has been using charcoal “braziers” for their outdoor seating since the pandemic began. I think inside is gas. I recall several places in ktwon doing the same.

3 Likes

Tokyo Kalbi in west LA - indoor table binchotan grilling (not KBBQ though).

2 Likes

Welcome to FTC!!!

1 Like

Parks BBQ, Jeong Yuk Jeom, Ahgassi, KHD, these places might utilize that combo of gas grill/charcoal type you’re talking about.

1 Like

Welcome to FTC @umamipapi!

Jjukku Jjukku in K-town.

1 Like

Jjukku Jjukku seems underrated to me. Maybe because it’s divey & AYCE? Price? Idk. We really like it.

7 Likes

Only thing I don’t like are the chairs lol

1 Like

True. Not comfy.

1 Like

I’ll have to loop back to Jjuku Jjuku. It’s been some time since I’ve been there since I tend to avoid AYCE places these days.

Thanks for the tips!!

1 Like