Charcoal venice -outstanding (redux)

Time to resurrect (fanfare please)… The Squab Squad!!!

2 Likes

Feel like I am being pigeon-holed.

6 Likes

Some of y’all need to do an improv show… :smiley:

1 Like

You’ve tried Comedy Central… Now it’s time for (wait for it)… Food Talk Central!!!

2 Likes

Charcoal is not really reinventing the wheel, but it remains an eminently pleasant place to eat exceptional versions of classics. On my latest dinner there I simply had a traditional dinner of steak, potato, and salad.

Little gems are tossed with a delicate scallion vinaigrette and a melange of fennel, radishes, sweet onions and carrots. It’s like a typical garden salad but just subtly amplified and made with beautifully fresh produce. Simple, but effective.

Baked potatoes are done in coals, and come out with a proper amount of smoked gouda, salted butter, creme fraiche, and chives. The aged gouda ages a bit of funk over cheddar here, and the yukon gold potatoes are perfectly cooked. It’s creamy, cheesy, starchy and brilliant in its own way. Not really new, but just baked potato loaded up and done better than you are used to. It could be considered “too loaded” for some people though

I opted for a simple prime skirt steak, and it was the best skirt steak I have had the pleasure of eating. You know it is going to be good when they recommend it be cooked rare. Did not need sauce or anything. Immensely flavorful, and tender. Truly wonderful.

Everything is very simple at Charcoal, but just “better”. I am sorry they were not busy on a Saturday night when I went. If you desire a quiet place to dine on a typically busy day and have excellent food Charcoal is a grand place to do it.

Their cocktails are also great, very cleverly made. It’s a very pleasant place to find yourself, and they really know how to treat meat. I hope I can make it back and get an aged duck finally though!

8 Likes

that skirt looks amazing.

2 Likes

need to get back there.

It was truly incredible. Better than I even thought skirt steak could be actually, and I am already a fan of skirt steak in general haha

They recently started serving brunch on weekends but I have yet to try the brunch menu (maybe this weekend).

1 Like

They will be offering a $49 DineLA meal mid July…with their hanger steak.

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, booked. Great DineLA menu

1 Like

steak looks really good but I’d say that’s med-rare and not rare.

They do still cook the steak a bit when it is rare. Are you thinking of raw? It is dark blood red in most of the center portion, maybe the lighting is a bit off in the photo?

ICan’t wait to go back. Everyone I have recommended it to has loved it.

You guys are inspiring me to go back! Went there shortly after open, had an excellent meal. Went back end of March with another couple and lucked into an aged duck! Thank you FTC for letting us know it existed. Best duck ever. Much deeper more complex flavor than I’m used to. As a bonus, Citrin himself was there that night, and decided to play dumb private before letting us know who he was. Totally charming, and loved that we loved the duck. There’s something really appealing about a chef owner walking the room and chatting with everyone, even folks who are not obvious big machers.

4 Likes

You lucky duck! My only disappointment is that I never manage to get a duck there =(

Just call before and confirm it is available. You can also reserve it in advance.

Finally got a chance to try Charcoal, Chef-Owner Josiah Citrin’s (Melisse) new restaurant, which is an ode to all things cooked by charcoal.

With a pedigree like Melisse (classic French fine dining, white tablecloth, etc.), Charcoal is much more casual, although the menu prices are on the pricier side, slightly at odds with its relaxed look and feel.

They have a prominent glass meat case, featuring some of the cuts they’re serving. As you can see, they have plenty of 21-Day Aged Liberty Ducks. :slight_smile:

Cabbage Baked in the Embers (Yogurt, Sumac, Lemon Zest):

The outside is completely charred black (purposefully) as it cooks the inside of the Cabbage all the way through. The idea is interesting, and even peeling away the outer charred leaves, it imparts a smoky quality to the soft, cooked-through Cabbage. Which is great, except that even with the Yogurt Sumac dipping sauce, it tasted a bit bland. I liked it, but it wasn’t amazing.

Blue Fin Tuna Tartare (Avocado, Pickled Cucumber, Citrus Vinaigrette):

Since our mains were going to be on the heavier side, we opted for something lighter and healthier of the 5 types of Tartare they had on the menu. This was delicious, :slight_smile: with the creamy Avocado, and crunchy textural contrast with the Pickled Cucumber and the Tuna Tartare.

Smoked Lamb Ribs:

Thanks to @Thor for the rec! The Smoked Lamb Ribs were indeed fall-off-the-bone tender, deeply smoky, lightly sweet, but savory and the gaminess of the Lamb was just right. Delicious! :slight_smile:

18oz Prime Ribeye:

Served a perfect medium-rare, the USDA Prime Ribeye was excellent. It was tender, meaty, with a nice chew. Great char on the outside. :slight_smile: Most of my friends and I aren’t much into the whole steak & potatoes dinners, but it was generally enjoyable. I’m curious how the Angus Beef NY Striploin is.

Housemade Sauces: Smoked Paprika Mustard Chimicurri, Red Wine Chipotle Sauce, J-1 Steak Sauce, and Basque Vinegar:

Charcoal features 4 different types of condiments to enjoy with your food. I thought all 4 were interesting, but my favorites were the J-1 Steak Sauce (a more complex housemade version of an “A1 Steak Sauce”), and the Smoked Paprika Mustard Chimichurri, which was the most savory of the sauces.

Steak Fries with Homemade Ketchup:

It should be noted that their Steak Fries are awesome! :slight_smile: I’ve never had Melisse before, but they probably have been making Frites there for a while, perfecting the recipe perhaps. These Steak Fries were so crisp and slightly crunchy on the outside and piping hot, fluffy, soft on the inside! :blush:

21 Day Aged Half Liberty Duck:

I have to thank @Thor @CiaoBob for the great suggestion: I’ve never had 21 Day Aged Liberty Duck before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Would it be like Dry Aged Beef? How would the flavors change?

The first thing to note is that the outside Duck Skin has been crisped (always a good thing! :slight_smile:, and as @CiaoBob mentions, the fat has been rendered down a lot (there’s still a bit of fat, but far less than a standard fresh Duck).

But the interesting part is the taste: The 21 Day Aged Duck has an intense, deep poultry taste. I’ve never tasted anything like it. But it should be noted it’s an acquired taste. 2 of my friends didn’t like the flavors at all, feeling it was a bit disconcerting. They didn’t hate it (they loved the crisped Duck Skin, and general tenderness), but the aging on the Duck seems to have been too foreign for them.

I liked it, but I’d want to eat it a few more times to get used to the flavors. It’s intense, but also tender, and generally delicious. :slight_smile:

Charcoal seems like a generally great place, and I’d want to try more of their items like the NY Striploin, their other charcoal-cooked Veggies, and the 35 Day Aged Lamb Shoulder. It’s a bit pricey, though - ended up at about $100 per person (no drinks tonight) (so it felt like we were easily in the same range as getting an Omakase course at Shunji) - but there were enough good dishes to warrant a return.

Charcoal Venice
425 Washington Blvd.
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
Tel: (310) 751-6794

5 Likes

How early did you arrive to get a duck?

I also wonder how their bison ribeye or pork porterhouse is, particularly the bison though.

Hi @Aesthete,

We were there around 7:30 p.m., so it wasn’t early, and their case had plenty of Ducks. Call ahead first I’d say and see if you can reserve one.

I was curious about the Bison as well.