Cheese Grits, help please

I’ve tried to prepare cheese grits several times in the past, but I can’t get them right. The flavor, the consistency, not good. Tried to follow recipes, but I don’t know what I’ve done wrong.

My daughter wants a birthday breakfast, and the main thing she insisted upon was the grits.

1 Like

What was wrong with the consistency? What recipe did you use?

I’d recommend mail-ordering first-rate grits, though for a kid that might not be the right thing.

https://ansonmills.com/products

1 Like

“What recipe did you use?”

Don’t remember. It was a long time ago. After a couple tries, I gave up. If I recall correctly, the cooking time was around 20-25 minutes. I “guessing” that was part of the reason I had problems, me not being able to gauge the time properly.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don’t have the time for a mail order. I really need a recipe.

Alton Brown (a southerner) is reliable:

Some general tips:

1 Like

I always use 5:1 liquid to grits. Half milk/half water with Anson mills white grits. Cook low and slow until done -finish with butter + lots & lots of sharp cheddar.

4 Likes

It looks like I don’t have a lot of shopping options for grits in my area.

I realize that these don’t necessarily fit with your suggestions, but would they be acceptable? Bob’s Red Mill, Southern-Style White Corn Grits

If you are in the Los Angeles area Surfas carries good grits in the refrigerated section but yes BRM is fine for sure especially for something like cheese grits

Ok, I was a little thrown by “cereal” description. I assume they are fine as opposed to coarse?

I also ran across these. A lot closer to home. They look o.k? Yes, I know, packaging not real exciting :slight_smile: Bulk Foods Yellow Corn Grits or Bulk Foods White Fine Corn Grits

What exactly is the difference between yellow and white?

That Southern Living page is very interesting.

Bob Red Mill is a reliable producer. Closest thing to Anson Mills you’re likely to find in a grocery store. Their grits are coarse, which are better than fine.

Yellow and white are two different kinds of corn. The kernels are literally yellow and white.

2 Likes

“Yellow and white are two different kinds of corn”

I was inquiring about what differences one might notice when using one or the other.

Nothing really, I tend to use white grits mostly because that’s what I had most when I lived in ATL but they taste similar and cook the same

3 Likes

I think whose grits you buy matter more than the color. I’d expect Bob’s to have more corn flavor than Quaker or Albers.

1 Like

@robert

I’ll take your advice. Thanks!

Is there any problems reheating the grits? Whats the best way to do it?

I add butter.

1 Like

I think it’s better to do something with left over grits set them in a casserole dish then cut them out into squares and toast on both sides.

But sure you can reheat them gently with some extra water. Break them up with a whisk as you go

2 Likes

Turns out I ended up with Albers grits. The BRM I wanted wasn’t available once I got to the store.

But I’m curious about the fact it’s “Iron Enriched”. What’s that about? Is it just a marketing gimmick?

Quaker Grits say “reduced Iron” in the ingredients.

For those please follow package directions. The Iron thing it’s pseudo health thing. Woman are often told to have more & men less shrug what ever gets added to grits isn’t going to make much difference either way

1 Like

Along with @aaqjr’s excellent suggestion you can grill them if you chill them in a loaf pan and then slice them.
In some ways leftover grits are even more interesting. Either way they are great stuff!

2 Likes