Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

16 Likes

Glad you loved il romanista that place is so good. We had the same disappointing experience at triple beam.

2 Likes

You continue doing God’s work, @Chowseeker1999! Great adventure. I love Il Romanista…I only wish I spent more time on that side of the world to have it more often. I need to get back to Mozza and try Superfine for the first time…and DeSano’s, too.

1 Like

Out of all the new places we have tried in the past few years we agree that super fine and il romanista are the best. The most consistent and best tasting between sauce, crust and toppings. We haven’t been to some of the places on your journey. Pizza in LA is significantly better than when I first moved here from NY 20 years ago.

If you ever make it down to the OC I would recommend two Neapolitan places. Fuoco in Fullerton and Michael’s in Long Beach. I know LB is not in OC but it might as well be.

The one place in LA I recommend not on the journey is Cosa Buona.

3 Likes

Thanks @hungryhungryhippos. :slight_smile: What’s your favorite flavor at Il Romanista?

Epic pizza post!!!

Next time get the JeetKuneBao’s OOE Special at Il Romanista! Glad you liked it!!! Potato is the most traditional topping for Roman style pizza per owner.

Superfine is high on my to do list for pizza!!

Also on my list is the weekend only square slice at Apollonia’s. (Check out their IG for times for the squares)

https://www.instagram.com/apolloniaspizza/

2 Likes

As did we.

1 Like

Same. Pretty much had exactly the same thoughts as @Chowseeker1999.

1 Like

Wow, what a pizza experience…gld more people went and had an excellent experience at Pizza Wagon…its my go-to for slices…Romanista/excellent; *South End, I love; don’t understand all the problems at Triple Beam.…ive been there 5 times and its been excellent each time…I always tell them, “make it hot!” and never had a problem…Triple Beam is with a few others at the top of my list of LA pizza!

What would you consider the best place for a soupy center pizza?

And I’m so excited that one of your favorites, Il Romanista, is in El Segundo. Next time I go to the hazardous waste disposal drop-off, I’m going for pizza after!

3 Likes

I get lucky and made it to Apollonia last week…2 great Sicilian/ or Square slices…excellent, one pepperoni and one “white” slice with moss and ricotta+…very tasty!

3 Likes

I really liked Prime Pizza’s Sicilian but it reminds me more of a grandma slice, whereas Pizza Wagon is what I’d get back east as a Sicilian. Yeah I need both.

I share @lapizzamaven ‘s thoughts on Triple Beam.

I got to tell you I am dying to get over to Superfine and Il Romanista. As most people know about me already is I hate to schlep. Superfine is tops on my list to try. Damn I’m so hungry now. I live two blocks from Pizza Wagon and am back on the Carb Wagon.

Really great report as usual!!! Thank you for sharing!!

3 Likes

I think LA Pizza is really SO SO much better than when I moved here back when they were still making pintos. Ok not that long ago.

Even the NY style is getting close to the real thing. But all the diverse styles are amazing now.

3 Likes

yeah, Gr8pimpin give me a heads about Pizza Wagon if you’d like to meet over there!

2 Likes

DEAL!

1 Like

hahahhahahah

my parents had a pinto wagon that greenish color and faux wood paneling so bad

2 Likes

Thanks @attran99. :slight_smile: I think you’ll enjoy Superfine and DeSano’s. And thanks again for your rec for Il Romanista. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @js76wisco. One day, when I can look at pizza again, we’ll be giving it a try! :smile:

1 Like

Haha!

We had a blue one when I was a kid. So glad it did not explode like many of the other ones. What was that movie, that was done by the same people that did airplane? There was a Pinto that exploded in it.

1 Like

And let me know as well!