Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

I prefer the regular NY style.

I do like Sicilians, and Pizza Wagon has a nice crispy yet chewy crust. They’re a bit saucier and I prefer less saucy.

2 Likes

Hah I almost found myself there today for the same but decided to be good instead.

Have you had Prime’s to compare/contrast?

I definitely preferred PW’s regular slices over the Sicilian but then again my sample size is only 1.

1 Like

Theyre such different things.

To me PW is a true “Sicilian” but unlike Prime he doesn’t really try to balance the toppings, whatever topping you get, they load it on. The onion was strong on this, but I could’ve ordered light onion.

I think that Prime is less traditional, kind of focaccia and a little more artsy about how they disperse toppings. I like the cheese rim and the splash of basil.

I prefer the crispy crunch and texture of the PW crust on the Sicilian but I think I prefer the way Prime tops them.

Regular slices, for me, it’s hands down PW. And I prefer their regular slices over the Sicilian.

Do I make any sense? lol

2 Likes

Yep totally. Looking at the pictures the difference could not be more obvious now. You prob got twice the protein and the pizza costs less.

Really regretting not getting that pizza now. But going to hit up Apollonia next week for the fabled $50 pizza to make up for lost time.

3 Likes

I liked the Apollonia as well. The crust was crunchy, cheese rim is good, definitely closer to Detroit then Sicilian.

Please report back, I’m very interested in your opinion.

2 Likes

Update 2 (To-Go):

We originally were going to do another Pizza Journey even though we had sworn off Pizza after these last 2 adventures, but after the first stop (below) we had to take a break. :sweat:

But then the pandemic hit and Pizza is one of those things that is great for Takeout, so the journey continued. :wink:

Gino’s East

Yes, the popular Chicago Deep Dish Pizza chain opened up its first LA branch a few months back. I barely remember my visit to Gino’s East in Chicago years ago, but remembered that I enjoyed a few other places better like Lou Malnati’s, Giordano’s, etc.

Meatball Sub Sandwich (Hearty Meatballs on a French Roll with Marinara with Mozzarella Cheese):

Gino’s East’s Meatball Sub was serviceable. It tasted exactly like what you’d expect a typical Meatball Sub would taste like at a straightforward Italian-American Red Sauce establishment, zesty, a touch salty, with meaty, dense Pork Meatballs.

If we were living in a city that had few options, then this might do just fine, but here in L.A., there are so many good options that this felt mundane by comparison. (For those looking for a fantastic Meatball Sandwich, look no further than Pastry Chef-Owner Zoe Nathan’s stunning Turkey Meatball Sandwich at Huckleberry Cafe (although right now, it’s temporarily off the menu during the shutdown).

Gino’s Supreme Deep Dish Pizza (Italian Sausage with Onions, Green Peppers and Mushrooms):

Gino’s Supreme Deep Dish Pizza arrives with our server straining as they carry this giant disc of melted Mozzarella and toppings. True to its name, you’re getting a thick, Deep Dish type of Pizza. As our server cuts up slices, the Mozzarella and Italian Sausage and other toppings ooze out onto the plate. It is a lot of food. :sweat_smile:

This feels like a fork and knife type of affair, and the initial bite is fine: It’s hard to go wrong with Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Bell Peppers and Onions in a tangy Tomato Sauce. The Melted Mozzarella is very stretchy and the crust is thick, buttery, flaky, nothing like our usual Thin-Crust Pizzas.

But after a few more bites, it starts to overwhelm. There’s just too much oozing Mozzarella, too much buttery, thick, flaky crust, too much Red Sauce, and it’s as @Ns1 and others have mentioned about this style of Pizza: It’s not for everyone and 1 slice was more than enough for me. :frowning:

2nd Visit:

(Side) House Salad:

Their House Salad (Side Order) was surprisingly crisp, fresh (no wilted greens) and their Housemade Croutons were addicting, the perfect amount of crunchy, zesty Garlic notes. :slight_smile:

Italian Beef Sandwich (Thin Slices of Slowly Seasoned Roast Beef, Imported from Chicago, Simmering & Served Au Jus on a French Roll. Choice of Sweet Peppers or Giardiniera):

Gino’s East’s Italian Beef Sandwich was pretty tasty: The ultra-thin slicing of their Italian Beef gives each mouthful a soft, pleasing bite (not overly chewy like some places that cut their Beef too thick). The Au Jus is also balanced, not overly salty, and the Giardiniera gives it a spicy, pickled note to break up the heaviness.

It’s pretty tasty, but given some of the great options we have for Beef Sandwiches in this city, we’d rather get a French Dip from Victor Jr’s or Hillstone’s, or the legendary Prime Rib Butcher from Gjusta. All of those options were better than this Italian Beef Sandwich from Gino’s East. (@CiaoBob @Gr8pimpin and others.)

The French Fries were freshly fried and hot, lightly crisped on the outside. A solid version.

O.M.G. Deep Dish Pizza (Classic Vegetarian with Onions, Mushrooms, Green Peppers):

On this 2nd visit, the crust looked slightly uneven, and cutting into it, everything just oozed out immediately and flattened (see above). :frowning:

Taste-wise, it was worse than our 1st visit, as if the Red Sauce was too runny, the Onions, Mushrooms and Green Peppers were fine, but the overly stretchy Mozzarella just detracted from the Pizza, and the buttery crust felt a bit underbaked and overwhelming.

Gino’s East was packed with people on our first 2 visits, and there’s plenty of Chicago decor throughout the restaurant (their sports teams banners, logos, newspaper cuttings from Chicago, etc.). I’m happy for folks that love Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza that there’s a new option in town. But we couldn’t even finish 1 slice, and at $26 (+ tax & tip) for a 9" or $33 (+ tax & tip) for a 12" Deep Dish, it’s not something I can see us ordering again or enjoying.

Gino’s East of Chicago
12924 Riverside Dr.
Los Angeles, CA 91423
Tel: (818) 788-5050

La Morra Pizzeria (To-Go)

One of the brightest stars in L.A.'s Pizza scene, La Morra Pizzeria was operating as a series of Pop-Ups around L.A., finding more regular footing and longer residencies when the pandemic hit.

In order to stay safe and keep social distancing, they shut down, but recently came back with a series of Frozen Pizzas for Takeout or Delivery. For a fantastic artisan Pizza maker, could their creations really translate into Frozen Pizzas that you take home and make yourself? We had to test this out.

Margherita Pizza (Frozen) (Tomato, Mozzarella di Bufala, Basil):

Their reheating instructions were simple and easy to follow. After a few minutes in the oven, we got this:

The end result is probably the tastiest Margherita Frozen Pizza we’ve ever had! :blush: I was shocked, but La Morra’s excellent Tomato Sauce comes through, the Mozzarella di Bufala was melted and held up just fine, the Basil did lose its wonderful fragrance that only fresh Basil can impart, but it’s understandable. Their signature Sourdough Neapolitan crust is a bit more toasty, lightly crunchy, but the flavor is still there. It is very good! :heart:

Here’s to hoping La Morra Pizzeria can find a safe way to go back to baking fresh Pies, but in the meantime, their Frozen Pizzas are very surprising in how good they can be for something frozen; a nice alternative while staying safe at home. :slight_smile:

La Morra Pizzeria
https://www.lamorrapizzeria.com/shop

Superfine Pizza (To-Go)

Chef-Owner Steve Samson’s outstanding Pizzeria, Superfine, was always setup to do Takeout or Delivery options, so in this shutdown era, they were still humming along, cooking up a bunch of orders when we arrived.

As usual, they still offer Pizza By The Slice, or Whole, so we started with:

Veganissima Pizza (Tomato, Rapini, Garlic, Salt-Cured Olives, Capers, Oregano, Chilies, Mint, Parsley, Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil):

This is usually one of their best Pizzas, but in a misstep it was shockingly salty. We mentioned it to the order taker who talked to the Pizzaiolo and they realized they must’ve spilled some of the Salt-Cured Olive liquid over the Pizza by mistake. They exchanged it with no problems.

Pepperoni Pizza (Pepperoni, Tomato, Cheese):

Their Pepperoni Pizza by the slice is the best way to go: Incredible crispness on the 2nd heating, the Pepperoni slices curl up and become the much sought after “grease chalices” that our FTC’ers love so much.

But more importantly is the taste: Taking a bite, the Housemade Tomato Sauce from Chef Steve Samson and his team is so perfectly mouth-watering and balanced, just the right amount of umami, sweet, tart and salinity. The crust is crisped slightly, but still pliable and it is simply outstanding! :heart:

Salami Honey Pizza (Spicy Salami, Provolone, Grana Padano, Buckwheat Honey):

Their Salami is a bit more porky than their Pepperoni and the splash of Honey adds an addictive quality to each bite. :slight_smile:

Spinach on White Pizza (Four Cheeses, Spinach):

This was incredible! :heart: The Spinach added a nice vegetal note but nicely balanced by the 4 Cheese blend. I liked the contrast between the Ricotta Salata’s saltiness with the creamy Fresh Ricotta, and their crust was perfectly toasted and piping hot. :blush: (@hanhgry @TheCookie and others.)

(Order Online through their website / Toasttab.)

Superfine Pizza
1101 San Pedro St., Unit F
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (323) 698-5677

Pizzana (To-Go)

Pizzana, the much hyped endeavor from Pizzaiolo Daniele Uditi and the founders of Sprinkles Cupcakes, has never been that exciting for us or our friends. We like some of the flavors (Chef Uditi has tried to make some Italian Pasta flavors over his Pizzas, like offering Cacio e Pepe Pizza, Amatriciana, etc.), but the bland crust is the weak link.

We were hoping it improved since our last few visits.

Spinaci Pizza (Spinach, Basil Pesto, Fior di Latte, Parmigiana Crema):

This was solid, but a bit greasy (too much oil dripping through with their Pesto). Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn’s Pesto has a rounder, more appealing flavor.

Neo Margherita Pizza (San Marzano DOP “Polpa,” Fior di Latte, Basil Crumb, Parmigiano, Basil):

This had to be one of the most disappointing Pizzas we’ve had in a long while: While it’s labeled a “Neo Margherita” (clearly Chef Uditi is going to be trying something new / different), it barely echoed what a traditional Margherita was. First, there was the annoying single (just 1) Basil Leaf for this entire Pie. :expressionless: Yes, it was a larger leaf, but in this era of being extra cautious / cleanliness, you have to hand tear parts of this single Basil Leaf, or remove it to a chopping board and try cutting the wilted leaf and put the pieces back on the Pie? :confused: They claim to have a “Basil Crumb”, but there was no other real distinct Basil flavor coming through. :frowning:

Whatever San Marzano Tomatoes they claimed to have on this Pizza was also barely existent, (in tiny splotches) with barely any flavor, as most of this was an overpriced $25 Cheese Pizza (including tax & tip). :frowning:

And with both Pies as before, tasting the crust itself yielded the same results as previous visits: Bland, flavorless white carbs. Avoid. (@PorkyBelly Omotesando @Gr8pimpin and others.)

(Special) Padrino Sandwich:

Pizzana’s Specials board Padrino Sandwich has been making headlines recently, including being featured in the L.A. Times rundown of Best Italian Sandwiches in L.A. Visually, there’s no doubt about it, it looks stunning and delicious.

Taking a bite, there has probably never been a dish over the past year that has had as much of a contrast from visual first impression to actual taste than the Padrino:

On paper it sounds great to have evenly thinly sliced Mortadella and Spicy Soppressata and it’s piled high (there’s more meat in this Sandwich than 2 Italian Sandwiches at most places), but there is indeed such a thing as too much of a good thing.

First, the Mortadella and Spicy Soppressata being evenly, thinly sliced results in a strange sameness in mouthfeel (and flavor). And with so much of the thinly sliced meats slammed into 1 Sandwich and smashed, you can’t appreciate either flavor at all.

The Provolone, Tomato, Pickle, Aioli and Calabrian Slaw do almost nothing to help the Sandwich. :cry: There’s too much meat. And as @paranoidgarliclover had worried about some Sandwich Breads cutting the roof of the mouth, in this case, Pizzana’s Housemade Ciabatta (which sounds great), is awful:

It’s thick, chewy, dryish, doughy and you spend more time trying to bite through the bland, flavorless Ciabatta Bread (just like their Pizza Crust) than you do trying to enjoy the Sandwich. It was literally a chore to eat through one or two bites of this Sandwich; my jaw was sore, that’s how terrible the Ciabatta Bread was. :sob:

And the fact that this overrated, overhyped Sandwich was 500% of the cost of the greatest Banh Mi Sandwiches that we’ve had recently at Ba Le is a tragedy. :frowning: Both Wax Paper’s Larry Mantle and Gjusta’s stunning Italian blow this away in terms of taste, texture and deliciousness. (@PorkyBelly @Gr8pimpin @TheCookie @attran99 @Ns1 @JeetKuneBao and others.)

Pizzana
11712 San Vicente Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Tel: (310) 481-7108

(Also in West Hollywood)

https://pizzana.com/

Antico

Chef Chad Colby’s new endeavor (formerly of Chi SPACCA), during the pandemic, he has turned Antico into a Focaccia Pizzeria and Ice Cream Takeout spot.

Supreme Pizza (Housemade Aged New York Strip Sausage, Green Pepper, Mushroom, Onions & Olives):

As others have noted, Antico’s Pizzas are really Focaccia Bread with Toppings, so plan your expectations accordingly. Still, even as Focaccia Bread with toppings, for our first visit to Antico, it was pretty delicious. :slight_smile:

I think Chef Colby has heard our very own @PorkyBelly’s feedback, because for this visit, the Supreme Pizza was super crunchy and crisped, piping hot (they heat it up a 2nd time just as you pick up the order, to ensure you have as hot a Pizza as possible when you take it back home, a nice touch). Housemade Focaccia that’s crisp-crunchy makes a difference. :slight_smile:

However, we felt it was a touch greasy (clearly they used a lot of Oil to crisp the Focaccia up).

The toppings were nice, but we couldn’t really taste that the Sausage was made with Aged New York Strip Steak, but it worked. The Mushrooms, Green Peppers, Olives, Onions and a healthy amount of melted Cheese rounded things out nicely. :blush: I’d be glad to eat this again.

Strawberry Ice Cream (with Harry’s Berries):

I was really looking forward to this hearing from @PorkyBelly: Taking a bite…

It is fragrant and sweet and delicious! :blush: Harry’s Berries’ Organic Strawberries definitely make a difference and this is probably the best Strawberry Ice Cream we’ve had in a long time. It’s creamy, fatty, luscious. Thanks @PorkyBelly! :slight_smile:

Honeycomb Ice Cream:

One of Antico’s most popular offerings, their fresh Housemade Honeycomb Ice Cream is sweeter, aromatic and also has that signature decadent fatty, luscious mouthfeel. :slight_smile:

Antico To-Go is a great operation that provides some appealing comfort foods - Focaccia Pizza and Ice Cream. I’d be glad to return to try more of their Focaccia Pizza if it stays true to our experience this time, with a crisped, crunchy crust and solid toppings. But if it’s more like @PorkyBelly’s experiences then we’d probably skip it.

I’m glad I tried Antico’s Ice Cream - they are really wonderful and creamy - but full caveat, I don’t know if I’m an Ice Cream fan anymore (I know, I know, sorry). For those that love Ice Cream, Antico is worth the drive.

Antico
4653 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90004
Tel: (323) 510-3093

https://www.antico-la.com/

Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn (To-Go) (Revisit)

For some reason we had an urge to visit Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn right after visiting Shin Sushi; I have no idea why. (Darn you FTC!) :stuck_out_tongue:

(Whole Pizza) (Half) Pepperoni + (Half) Pesto Pizza:

As with our previous 5 - 6 visits, Pizza Wagon is still making one of L.A.'s greatest Pepperoni Pizzas, period. :heart: Their style is based on their decades of experience in Brooklyn, New York, and the Pie is foldable and delicious. I love their Pepperoni “grease chalices” and the Red Sauce and Cheese and crust all combine to make magic. :blush:

As much as we love their Pepperoni, I think Pizza Wagon’s Pesto Pizza might be even better. It has an incredible nutty, aromatic flavor, lightly herbal and fresh Ricotta Cheese just elevates it, and gives it a sense of lightness! :heart: So good!

(Note: For those wanting to support Pizza Wagon through tips, their machine currently doesn’t allow the customer to leave any tips via credit card! :open_mouth: :frowning: Anthony (the owner) apologized and said it wasn’t set up right now to allow tips.

Bring extra cash for tip if you want.)

Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn
14522 1/2 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Tel: (818) 616-1492

We had just finished a bang x bang with Shin Sushi’s amazing Chirashi Set with Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, but we had to confirm for “research” for FTC how it compared with our other favorite for Pepperoni in the city, so we added a 3rd Bang:

Superfine Pizza (Revisit - Again)

(Whole 18" Pizza) (Half) Pepperoni + (Half) Queen Margherita with Sausage & Mushrooms Pizza:

First, the regular Pizzaiolo we normally see working at Superfine wasn’t there on this visit. We’re hoping it’s just a day off, but taking a bite from this new Pizza maker, it was still incredible!

It starts with Chef Steve Samson’s (Sotto, Rossoblu) incredible pedigree in Italian cooking and the Housemade Tomato Sauce. It’s just so perfectly balanced, for our taste buds we like Superfine’s Tomato Sauce more, but it’s just personal taste. Both are wonderful. :blush:

Then the Mozzarella, Provolone and Grana Padano Cheese blend elevates this even further.

But it’s the Pepperoni cups that are crisped up adding incredible textural contrast to the Pizza that takes it to another level! Simply outstanding! :heart: :blush: :heart:

The other half was a Queen Margherita with Italian Sausage and Mushrooms, a tribute to @lapizzamaven , and we love Mushrooms.

This was ridiculous! :heart:

Superfine’s cross between a New York-style Pizza and Neapolitan crust was already excellent, but their Queen Margherita (Fresh Mozzarella, Tomato, Basil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil) with added Italian Sausage - not overly salty, meaty, savory, and fragrant, umami from the Roasted Mushrooms?

It just took this Pizza to another level! :blush:

Overall, this was another fun Pizza Journey. It’s just nitpicking in the final 2 comparisons, but we’d gladly eat at either Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn or Superfine for their excellent Pepperoni Pizzas. Both of them are making some of the best Pizza in the city right now, so support them if you’re in the mood for some Pies to take home. :slight_smile:

But if we had to choose one? It’d be Superfine Pizza.

Superfine Pizza
1101 San Pedro St., Unit F
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Tel: (323) 698-5677

15 Likes

That Neo Margherita was disgusting. If I had only known that Pizzano was owned by the same people as Sprinkles, I wouldn’t have bothered. That alone tells me everything I need to know.

1 Like

Your experience with Gino’s East, with the toppings oozing out and the cheese being so intense and plentiful is so opposite my experience. My pizza was hardly topped, a meat lovers, and I just said screw it and picked it up because there was nothing to fall out… except maybe for sauce… a gallon of it.

Mine was more of a pan pizza than a deep dish.

I think I just puked in my mouth. :face_vomiting:

That white slice at superfine looks so damn good!!

Pizza Wagon’s pesto is incredible. You do it right, 1/2 pep 1/2 pesto.

Thanks for the great report!!!

1 Like

My household enjoys Antico…they are partial to the all meat pie. I adore the anchovy pie because I love that umami funk. So glad you got to try the Strawberry ice cream…it is truly delicious.

4 Likes

I couldn’t decide between the pepperoni and the pesto from my recent bang bang so I just got a pie of each :joy: That was A LOT of pizza.

It’s been a while since I’ve had Superfine and I remember it being very good. But looking at your most recent picture of the pepperoni pie, WOW. Just visually, it looks better than PW. Now I have to go back and get some…you know…for research…

2 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Thanks for your report on Gino’s East. Unfortunate. It sounds like they’re getting worse (perhaps they had an experienced person from the Chicago locations to teach/help them during Grand Opening and they’ve gone back now?).

I think you’d like the White Slice at Superfine, it was really good! :blush:

And yah, love Pizza Wagon’s Pesto! :slight_smile: (Thanks again for your recommendation in the first place.)

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Good to know; I’ll have to try their anchovy next time. :slight_smile:

Have you made it out to Superfine yet? :wink:

1 Like

That La Mozza pizza looks fantastic!

As for the Pizzana sandwich, your cross section pic told the whole story. You can DEFINITELY have too much of a bad thing. And those pizzas just looked terrible. :frowning:

1 Like

No, not yet. It’s on my list.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 that spinach 4 cheese pizza from Superfine looks SO GOOD. That’s on my to-try list!

1 Like

Hi @tailbacku,

Nice! :slight_smile: Hopefully you have a good “research trip” to Superfine to figure out the intricacies of wonderfully crisped Pepperoni.

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Yah it turned out great; we were genuinely surprised (I was bracing for the worst, thinking how frozen pizza might turn out). But it was delicious. :slight_smile:

im in total agreement, Pizza Wagon & Superfine are , by far, my favorite NY style slices in LA! I returned to Pizzana just before the Virus and liked it(a pesto, I think) but $$$ and for me, if I’m buying a pie, its gonna be from Mario Vollera at South End in Venice…your review of Gino’s East confirmed my long held thoughts that Chi pizza aint for me…it aint pizza, it’s a casserole! ciao baby!

2 Likes

IL ROMANISTA RE-OPENING

“Hi everybody! Starting this week, we will be opening for takeout and delivery on Friday and Saturday from 5-9pm. If all goes well, we will continue this schedule moving forward, and hopefully continue to slowly expand our hours. At the moment, we is just me, Luigi. I will do my very best to make sure everything comes out extra delicious for each and every one of you! Please be patient with me as I attempt to work out the kinks in switching to doing all takeout & delivery. Thanks so much for your support during these wacky times!”

8 Likes

Wasn’t their business model pretty much set up for take out anyways?