Cheesy, Savory, Delicious! Meat Lovers, Vegetarian and Vegan! A Pizza Journey - Superfine, Il Romanista, DeSano, Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn, Pizzeria Mozza, South End, L’Antica Pizzeria da Michele, Prime, Lupetti, Triple Beam and More! [Thoughts + Pics]

Damn carbs… and I have ZERO willpower!!

Pizza Wagon. Had a chat with the owners tonight. So nice.

The goods;

GOODNESS, chock full of vitamins and nutrients. Part of a balanced meal.

This isn’t Top Chef or let’s see how many components I can put on a pie such as bee vomit. The goodness to me is the simplicity.

6 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Darn it, why did I have to click on your reply right before sleeping?! I’m just glad Pizza Wagon isn’t in our neighborhood or else we might’ve ended up with a pepperoni pizza right now. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re really amazing. Your pizza report rivals any food mag or online site around. I challenge anyone to dispute this fact. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

You’re too kind! :slight_smile: It was just something that I noticed because we love Mozza so much. Again, it’s not bad at all (still very tasty), but it was just a bit off / different with slightly less rise in the outer crust, so I had to ask. :wink:

1 Like

They make the dough. Maybe they switched flours?

Finally got around to trying this place. Went at night, and the place is VERY dark, so pics aren’t great. Have to say that I LOVED it. Crust is indeed a bit underseasoned, but I’m okay w/ that. I could sometimes get a slight sour (as in sourdough) smell as I brought the crust to my face, which was great.

Tomato sauce there is also a bit undersalted, but it’s bright and refreshing (and you don’t feel weighed down after eating there).

Really warm and attentive service at the bar, even though the place was very busy.

Would happily return and am glad @lapizzamaven told us about this place.

I can’t remember; @Gr8pimpin, have you tried this place? Def not a NY pizza, but it’s its own very good, unique animal (maybe vague similar to a Milo and Olive crust, but more color) and def worthy.

4 Likes

yeah chowseeker, id probably need to eat Superfine & pizza wagon right next to each other to get a true comparison for me but both at top of my Best of
slice list!

2 Likes

And yes, I love South End!

Ha, ha…fell off the carb wagon and onto the Pizza wagon!

2 Likes

Thanks @paranoidgarliclover, sounds like a lovely time. :slight_smile: What flavor pizzas did you order?

Yeah, I realized after posting I totally forgot to put that info!

We got the Burrito Ball, the Boardwalk, and the District 11. We thought the Burrito Ball would be the South End version of Milo and Olive’s garlic knot; no, not quite. The garlic knot is fairly rich and decadent; the burrito ball was considerably lighter. The herbs also were not quite well distributed; my half was delicious. @SpockSpork’s first bite of the dish had very few herbs and was oddly bland. The rest was good, though. :slight_smile:

The Boardwalk’s fried egg was perfectly done, and the speck and arugula nicely complimented each other. I don’t remember much about the District 11, aside from it tasting good and wanting more pork sausage. :slight_smile:

If the on-line menu is current, the Rosé was “Rosato, Battaglini(organic), Russian River Valley, USA.” I’m not big on wines (and don’t actually like the way most of them taste), but this had a luscious mouth feel and was very “drinkable.” A nice summer wine. Not sure how the more sophisticated wine drinkers on the board would feel about it, though.

I don’t quite know if I’d drive across the city for this place, but I might consider it a neighborhood gem (but also have only been once). The fact that it’s also away from the madhouse of the busier area of Abbott Kinney is also a plus, in my book.

Mario was definitely in the house, but he wasn’t in the kitchen.

2 Likes

I have not tried it yet. I will have to give it a shot. Looks and sounds great!

Thank you for such a great report!!!

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Thanks for the specific recommendations! :slight_smile: And yes, definitely agree that it’s great that South End is away from the craziness of Abbott Kinney’s main stretch.

Good to know Chef-Owner Mario was in the house.

1 Like

Desano’s. Still awesome

7 Likes

We were going to attempt a bang there after Connie & Ted’s, but it was too late because I ordered dessert.

1 Like

Mario Vollera is great! Love South End!

2 Likes

Grimaldi’s. Went there tonight after a lengthy absence.

Ok this USED to be my favorite NY pie here in LA. Mr. @lapizzamaven can attest.

Photos:

Gotta say, Mr. Maven, I think Pizza Wagon is my new favorite pizza place.

The sauce at Grimaldi’s is not as tasty, the pepperoni did not cup into grease chalices. All-in-all, just not as tasty. Crust was good and crunchy… but kind of on the “dry” side.

3 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Yah, between the two, we definitely love Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn more. :slight_smile: Thanks again for the early report on the place.

1 Like

Generally speaking, the people in my group who lived in New York, who loved Grimaldi‘s in the past, agreed with me that it just was not as good as it used to be.

2 Likes

Gr8pimpin, its been a while since Ive been to Grimaldi’s but, like you, I once loved it…sad to hear about any pizzeria that loses its commitment to quality (like recent discussions about Prime)…that crust looks kinda “light” to me, too, which is such a turn off as I loved their crust…so it goes…Im with ya on Pizza Wagon…I love it and the owners, Anthony and Marina exude pride in what they serve…now I’m salivating! Oh well, at least these days LA has options!

1 Like