Chi SPACCA

Sounds like another visit to chi spacca is in order #forresearch

2 Likes

I wonder if it will have “a squidgy bottom”.

I guess

20190922_201559

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have two tickets to the Tomos Parry dinner happening in December. Surprised it didn’t sell out right away but that might be my own excitement.

He does BRAT in London. Lots of wild game and of course turbot (brat is old world slang for turbot) prepared over an open fire.

Figure someone on this board will be interested

https://amexwoodfirefttomosparry.splashthat.com/

3 Likes

Well, it happened. Anyone else go?

So much fun. Communal seating, three twelve-tops or so. My best friends birthday is next week so I told him to come out to LA for a few days. Was a nice way to introduce him to the city as he’d never been.

We laughed with our tablemates the entire night. So fun being surrounded by other people just as excited as you are.

Ruth Reichl sat at the table over. That was cool. Didn’t want to bother her but I was able to say hello after the dinner. Such a warm person, calm energy.

That anchovy bread… the best kind of salt bomb!! I loved it.

Rather than Turbot he wound up presenting Dover Sole. That pil-pil, brought down in the terra cotta! Love cleaning the spine. Plus they dropped off extra potatoes to us, after we’d finished the fish but before our plates were cleared. A nice slop up the sauce surprise.

Also they switched up the menu and poured Pedro Ximénez with dessert which was perfect. Didn’t look at the bottle but the pour reminded me of a sweaty daiquiri. That funky sour when rum and lime really mingle.

All in all such a fun dinner.

7 Likes

I was in a hot tub with Ruth Reichl once, circa 1977.

7 Likes

@robert haha giving a heart doesn’t do that justice. Love it!

1 Like

my G!

3 Likes

The details need to be posted. Maybe on a separate thread. Heck, maybe on a different site… :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds fun @butteredwaffles. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hot tub time machine!

3 Likes

Around ten years later I saw Jonathan Gold playing cello in an art-punk band called Fat and Fucked Up.

5 Likes

Could be fun having a cool stories thread.

I attended the Keller dinner at Animal last year.

At one point my friend and I are talking and I’m staring at my wine. A salad of French Laundry Garden Lettuces and Pumpkin Seed Pesto drops in front of us and a voice says “You boys like Fois Gras?”

“Hell yeah dude!” is what I said and really what it made sense to say before I looked up and saw it was Keller himself standing there with a hunk of Smoked Hudson Valley Fois Gras “Torchon” and a microplane.

As he Planed the Gras I followed that up with “oh shit uh thank you Chef” and he gave me the biggest grin. Like it warmed my heart and I really hope he’s told that story a few times to whoever he tells stories to.

7 Likes

I suspect this is a much better combo than Reichl on cello and Gold in the hot tub

8 Likes

yes can we please split out into a fun food stories thread? bosses?

1 Like

Maybe that’s an in the lounge thread?

The Lounge is a special Discourse feature, it’s only visible to users with trust level 3 or higher.

I know right! There’s one thread I stumbled upon about many of you discussing San Sebastian that I really loved. I believe @Nemroz you participated as well.

But I can only imagine some of the wild and crazy dining stories many of you have hiding in the backs of your heads!

hell yes i did. my head is still in northern spain after that trip… honestly… if you ever go, make sure to spend a week in asturias and cantabria … and galicia but we didn’t get there.

2 Likes