Chili Crisp Recommendations

Now, I’m going to have to slap you :slight_smile: When I moved to “the city” in the mid70s, there was a restaurant called “Don’t Call It Frisco.”

2 Likes

I don’t care what people call places.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Just bought some and it’s delicious on everything!

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t really care. But I promise you that in SF you’ll be (silently) labeled an outsider if you use terms like that. And in a restaurant I wouldn’t be surprised if the service YOU receive isn’t QUITE as wonderful as someone who speaks ‘properly.’ Silly, of course.

So what . I was lazy and didn’t spell San Francisco . OK the city then .

I don’t talk to waiters. Maybe next time I will. Something about how how “Frisco is my favorite place I’ve visited in Cali! Especially that Pier 39 with that awesome Bubba Gump restaurant. You sure have good seafood here!”
:wink:

4 Likes

LAUGH. OUT. LOUD!!! And Emglow I was just teasing you.

nobody asked me, but coming from a friscoan, this is something i’d wear as a badge of honour.

2 Likes

The Japanese and some Korean markets carry Rayu, I think that is the brand. Small jar. About 4 oz at the most, has crispy garlic in it, not cheap $5.99, sometimes on sale for $3.99.
There is a guy that is with the Chori-man, he does Boomtown Brewery on thursday nights. This guys sells an 8oz jar of his homemade Salsa Matcha, really good stuff. Find the Chori-Man on Instagram and FaceBook.

Thanks for the reply; rayu/layu is a staple in our house. It turned out I was looking for chili crisp, and I’ve changed the title of this thread to avoid further confusion.

The salsa matcha sounds intriguing. Thanks so much for the tip!

angry housewife sauce! or house husband as the gender may be.

Bringin’ it back to the oils…

Northern Cafe (Westwood Village) sells Lao Gan Ma by the jar, at $4.50 a pop. (In case any Westsiders are too lazy to make the shlep to the SGV…)

3 Likes

$3 something at Simpang Asia, also.

3 Likes

Thanks for the excellent tips about finding Lao Gan Ma on the Westside, @J_L and @thechez5! I finally picked up a bottle at Simpang Asia this afternoon, and I’m already hopelessly addicted. @ipsedixit, I’m much obliged for your recommendation. It was so good that I thought about putting it on pineapple. Yeah, I’m a total weirdo…

2 Likes

Don’t be silly.

I only eat durian with Lao Gan Ma chili crisp.

3 Likes

I had this little gem arrive via Amazon today…

6 Likes

I really like it on fried eggs. I think it’s a texture thing, mixed with the runny yolk. :grin:

2 Likes

She looks so demure in that picture.

It’s always the quiet ones that get you.

1 Like

Oh, this little lady and I will be spending some quality time together. I’m not even scared.

You meant “*because Westsiders are too lazy”. FIFY :slight_smile:

1 Like