Chili Crisp Recommendations

good it’s not just me - i’ve been told that she is actually a he.

Weirdo. :wink:

2 Likes

Please no burping in public. :persevere::mask:

1 Like

Not weird at all. There are spicy fruit salads and sambals in Malaysia that use fruit like pineapple, apples, etc and red chilli together along with other strong flavors like dried shrimp, tamarind, etc. Good stuff.

4 Likes

Toss in some belacan too! Rojak is so refreshing and satisfying.

Had a great Thai fruit salad back in late fall at the soon-to-be shuttered Pok Pok in Chinatown. Som tam phonlamai, utilizing SoCal’s amazing seasonal FM produce was by far the best SE Asian style fruit salad I’ve had. A mix of tropical fruits and local apples and persimmons with a chile-inflected Thai dressing is something we still talk about. Chef Ricker has some skills. I hope he is able to reestablish himself in another part of LA.

2 Likes

Just imagine when one of my burps gets, um, lost and heads south.

1 Like

Been a victim of that - #Superfundsite and #ErinBrockovich

1 Like

Whad’dya know? It was pretty good on pineapple!

Have you guys seen Little Ye in the Office’s videos? She’s kind of like the MacGyver of desk lunches. I spied a bottle of Lao Gan Ma at 3:05. I felt so in the know!

@bulavinaka Indeed, a proud, card-carrying weirdo! The Thai fruit salad sounds great. Don’t know if I’ll get to stop by before they close.

@boogiebaby Ah yes, I really miss the rojak from Yazmin, and I loved all the savory dishes that incorporated fruit. Really good stuff!

@ipsedixit Just eww.

3 Likes

Dang - she puts MacGyver to shame!

1 Like

I want her on my side if there’s a zombie apocalypse.

1 Like

The really great stuff is the B&S stuff with crispy garlic, it is in a small jar, 4oz and it is so good!

1 Like

Yeah, the layu/rayu I have at home doesn’t have garlic in it. I will definitely check out S&B’s version. Thanks!

I tried it. It goes beautifully with pineapple…and pizza… and pizza with pineapple on it.

Should this be on the confessions thread?

5 Likes

Ah yes, it’s really nice on pineapple. In fact, I can’t really imagine anything that it wouldn’t go with.

My confession is I’ve almost powered through an entire jar on my own… :frowning:

3 Likes

Chile Crisp Lovers take note! Jasmine Market in Culver City has spiffed itself up and offering some condiments to go including their house made Chili Crisp! It’s a bit funky… but in every good way and SUPER crisp!

It was a great addition to some spring rolls we made last night. It’s also good for anything that you don’t want too introduce any more oil/liquid

6 Likes

Thanks Dommy! This is a great PSA. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can anyone tell me if these are the same thing? I’m trying to slowdown on Amazon buying and have stuff in my Sayweee cart. Thanks for posting that link, btw, @MalibuT.

Amazon clearly reads Chili Crisp on the label

Sayweee’s description says Fried Chili Oil and the label looks slightly different and there’s no English writing visible on label.

1 Like

I cannot read the characters for you but I have had many varieties of Chili Crisp from this vendor. Some with black beans, some without, etc.

1 Like

Your opinion is they’re both the same thing (fried chili oil vs chili crisp)? I saw the black bean. How is it?

1 Like

Completely from memory, there’s one with peanuts and maybe soybeans or crispy turnip bits?? And then there are some without those goodies.

1 Like