Chili Crisp Recommendations

Hmmm… I’m even more confused about what to get now. I think I’ll start off with the straight Chili Crisp from Amazon for now. Thanks!

1 Like

Of course! Not to trouble the water even more, but here’s their website.

And if local is your thing, there’s also Fly By Jing.

2 Likes

Helpful! I can see all their varieties.

Yang’s Kitchen in Alhambra sells homemade chili crisp (and lots of other goodies, order online for curbside pick-up). Very addictive.

6 Likes

Fly By Jing is also at now serving.

I’ve been eyeing Mei Lin’s xo sauce, has anybody tried it or her chili oil?

https://nowservingla.com/collections/pantry/products/umamei-xo-sauce

https://nowservingla.com/collections/pantry/products/umamei-chili-oil-8-oz-jar

7 Likes

Sweet! Now Serving and PRD.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was think-banging.

4 Likes

I’ve tried the XO sauce, and I really liked it.

1 Like

It’s an essential staple at our house.
The black or soybean one is a little sweeter from the beans

2 Likes

@TheCookie Lao Ma Gan has many varieties of chili oil. The Chili Crisp oil at least in my experience is labelled as “Chili Crisp” while other oils have different names like “chili sauce”, “black bean chili sauce”, or “fried chili in oil” and have different additions as mentioned above by other posters and different flavors.

But generally they are all pretty tasty so if you can’t find chili crisp try a different one!

3 Likes

I tried mixing Lao Ma Gan Chili Crisp with Lee Kum Kee XO Sauce. I’d do that often if it weren’t so expensive.

Re Chef Mei Lin’s horrible chili oil that all of you should stop buying so this thing stops fkn selling out lolol

it’s incredible. a lot of aromatics (lots of fennel), serious heat. muchas xiāng. i’ve been on a healthy kick so i put it on eggs, chicken, whatever. don’t use it like a chili crisp tho, unless you’re into pain. then use it like a chili crisp.

I’ve also had the Vegan XO (interesting!) and the real XO which I believe is the congee XO made with hokkaido scallops ($$$$). very luxury. careful when you store it in the fridge also if you close it too tight it’s not a joke to open. I like the XO’s over steamed veg, usually kailan, broccoli, cauliflower whatever.

6 Likes

Have you tried the chili condiment at LSXO? I am pretty sure they add crack in it.

1 Like

I’ve tried all sorts of chili crisps and to be honest, the one I like the best currently is the Trader Joes one. It’s less spicy and oily and more CRISP. The Ratio of oil to crispies in it is just right for me. I had plenty of this with Needle’s fried rice, string beans and lettuce cups this evening. It was nice because it’s soft heat and tasty crispiness did not interfere with the spicing and inherent flavors of Needle’s dishes. Unlike Grandma sauce which can come on a bit strong… No mala though…

5 Likes

I think that’s the one Sayweee sells. I’ve been avoiding buying Chili Crisp because I already have so many chili pastes, sauces, powders, pods, you name it. But everyone raves about it so I’m giving in.

1 Like

Do it, it’s amazing!

1 Like

If you like the crispy bits and mild heat I would definitely recommend the S&B chili oil condiment. It’s been on sale at Tokyo Central for the last few weeks. Very good. We like it better than the Trader Joe’s for the same reason - more crisp and excellent flavor. They’ve been out of the hot flavor which would be more up my alley. Need a little more heat.

7 Likes

This stuff?

1 Like

The Fly By Jing Sichuan chili crisp and three-year aged doubanjiang I ordered three months ago just shipped.

Yep! That exact stuff. I’m on my fifth Jar… love it with all sorts of stuff and especially noodles…

3 Likes