Chocolate Chip Cookie Death Match

I’ve tried about 5 online chocolate chip cookie recipes and I’ve come to the conclusion that none are significantly better than the toll house recipe. That recipe is a classic for a reason. I think there’s just not a very high ceiling you can go with improving a chocolate chip cookie. I’ve tried the Jacques Torres recipe and added a bit too much flour and it tasted indistinguishable from Levain, which I never cared for.

I’ve also come to strongly believe that a big factor in which cookie people prefer is simply the cacao percentage of the chocolate chips which is very individual and more important than the quality of the chocolate.

4 Likes

The big factors in differences between cookies that I’ve noticed:

fat percentage. THe Levain/NYT recipe has a little more butter than tollhouse if I recall correctly. A Tate’s-like version has almost DOUBLE the butter of tollhouse, to encourage lots of oven spread and a thin, crispy, cookie.

Form: Want big thick cookies with gooey centers? make 2-3 oz cookies, leave them in a ball prrior to baking. Bake from chilled or frozen. Have at least an equal percentage by weight of chocolate as flour, if not more. Use coarse chopped chocolate for a variety of sizes and textures

Want 'em thin 'n crispy? SMALLER cookies, 3/4-1oz, let come to room temp and flatten out to 1/4 in" thick w/ wet figertips prior to baking. bake at a lower temp (325 works for me) for longer to allow for more spread and more drying out w/o burning. Use chips for distinct bumps of chocolate in your crispy, buttery little discus.

Chocolate percentage is a personal choice. Sometimes sweet and creamy milk morsels are right. Sometimes you wanna be all grown up and sophisticated and go with semi- or even 60+% bittersweet.

sea salt on the thin ones is (to me) a bit overwhelming, but I consider it essential for thicker, more ‘traditional’ type cookies.

Of course, one can go a completely different route and do choc. chip shortbread cookies, which have even less chocolate in them percentage wise, but can be equally delicious.

10 Likes

The Ivy has a very loyal chocolate chip cookie following and their bakery, Dolce Isola, on Robertson just north of Venice has them at reasonable prices.

1 Like

I had already taken a bite (a huge one lol) before I realized I should add this entry to the Death Match.

Lazy Acres markets chocolate chip cookie. Almost more chocolate than cookie. Thick. But not cakey. Crispy outside and soft slight chew inside.

Wifey was given two, said it was warm when she had it the second saved for me.

The weather this week is very conducive to keeping your cookies perpetually warm and melty.

12 Likes

If you are part of Bristol Farms mailing list (which I recommend) today is the day. Free Coupon is in the email for THE COOKIE! Enjoy!

7 Likes

Whatttt !!! Grumble grumble, enjoy the cookie is the best thing at Bristol farms

1 Like

The in-house (not from a central commissary) guac at the Santa Monica branch is really good. Not as decadent as The Cookie, granted, but maybe way healthier? :wink:

2 Likes

Still the best CCC in LA

5 Likes

Looks like someone made a trip to Westwood.

3 Likes

The rain keeps the lines shorter but there were still lots of ice cream sandwiches being made

1 Like

Perhaps more than you wanted to know about what makes chocolate chip cookies good:

1 Like

Is there at least a Levain storefront being built on Larchmont?

Partner and I walked in that area recently and don’t recall seeing one.

Yepp, they announced it on their Instagram a while back, but there’s no opening date yet.

It’s open:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtwjMO6tZ1p/

3 Likes

Wowwww can’t wait I’m sure lines will be insane for awhile

1 Like

I mean the store is open till 10pm, so you can probably go 7-8pm and not wait too long

2 Likes

Waayyy to sweet for our tastes and even our kids can’t handle more than a bite or two from the ones in NYC. Luckily we know one of the bakers there and she gifted us some today. Same result, few bites and done even for the kids.

1 Like

Lol I wished you lived close you could re gift them to me!

2 Likes

Actually, was trying to do the exactly that! Will regift tomorrow

1 Like