Chocolate Chip Cookie Death Match

Brown butter chocolate chip cookie from Zooie’s is chef’s kiss. Highly recommend if you like savory, smoky flavors. We bought a ton of other cookies as well, but I like to stay on theme. Thank you @rlw for the rec!

5 Likes

I’m a year late to this but…

….

You’re a MONSTER!!! :scream:

5 Likes

Lodge Miso Chocolate Chip Cookie from BHFM.

Mine was a little different than yours @rlw. It had the faint promise of salt scatter but not enough to counter-balance the sweet. It was soft & chewy but didn’t have crispy edges. I agree it could use more chocolate and that the tasty dough and interesting use of miso almost make up for the lack of chocolate. It’s still a really good cookie, though, that I recommend and would get again. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Batch Nine

Yeah yeah I’ve been really late on these…

FarmShop

Mini chocolate chips and a good wide spread equals a pretty even distribution and overall consistent cookie. The edges aren’t that crisp and crumby, but the center is brought right up to that perfectly done line. It doesn’t look like much, and seems like it could be forgettable in the larger FarmShop bakery line up, but it’s competently executed and an all around solid cookie.

Paderia Bakehouse

Paderia has a good line up of cookies, but we’re focusing on the sea salt chocolate chip here. And wow, it’s a knockout. The crisp edges and exterior create a shell that holds a nearly molten center. It’s an epic cookie (my only gripe is that all the salt is concentrated on middle of the cookie) but that doesn’t take anything away from what amounts to the the apex west side chocolate chip cookie when you do get that salty center bite. It’s phenomenal.

Paderia Bakehouse’s walnut chocolate chip is reminiscent of Levian’s famous cookie. Like the sea salt chocolate chip, it’s perfectly baked. And the balance of choclate to walnut turns out well. It’s easily checks the crisp edges and molten center box.

85 Degrees

85 Degrees is probably better known for their other baked items (for good reason) so I didn’t have high expectations for their chocolate chip cookie in a bag. It’s soft baked, and with an interesting almost oatmeal cookie spice profile, but still not chewy. It’s okay, but just made me want taro bread instead.

Porto’s Bakery & Cafe

Super strong QPR out of the gate, Porto’s chocolate chip cookie is the perfect size and a textural bullseye. It’s probably likely to be overlooked amongst Porto’s more popular and well known items, but this is a real sleeper. It’s an interesting point of comparison to the 85 Degrees down the block, which is also has a big menu of other bakery items, but this cookie is so much better. That said, it’s not destination worthy, but if you’re coming for other things and want something classically satisfying that you won’t regret, this will do it.

Le Pain Quotidian

This is perhaps the biggest cookie I’ve had. It’s absolutely massive. It’s also absolutely forgettable. The flavor is fine, and it’s got a good amount of chocolate chips, but it’s also just so mediocre that the only thing going for it is that you could buy one and split it with three friends. It’s definitely still better than Corner Bakery though.

Sprinkles

You can probably see the trend here of trying chocolate chip cookies at places known for things other can cookies, but this is all fair game since it’s on the menu. Sprinkles’ chocolate chip cookie is soft baked so that it started to come apart as I picked it up. I should have known I’d be in for a sugar bomb, but to its credit, there is a really nice amount of salt to balance it out a bit. There is a slight graininess to the base, but overall it’s a really solid cookie, and actually quite dense and chewy in the center. It’s still going to punch you in the face with sugar, so I can’t really say that’s the move at Sprinkles if you don’t want a super bougie cupcake that’s also packed with sugar. :man_shrugging:

Goodboybob

Another soft baked cookie with a great salt topping with some significant crystals. The base is buttery with a slight nuttiness, and a complexity that indicates some other flours like rye or buckwheat. It’s a heater down the middle, and compared with other coffee shop chocolate chip cookies, it’s up there though probably just outside that top tier belonging to GGET and Largwa/Thank You Coffee.

Largwa

Speaking of… let’s check in on Largwa. munch munch Yup, still a banger.

Baker’s Bench

Clear the decks, since I first had it back in June, Baker’s Bench’s vegan chocolate chip cookie has become one of my favorites (ie: I get one almost once a week). And clearly I can’t describe it as buttery because it’s not but it’s like almost like it is so I just don’t know. It’s one of the best vegan cookies I’ve had in my life because it feels like it’s cakey still substantial and again I can’t believe it’s not butter. The edges are firm and a bit crunchy, but just past that it’s soft and chewy, and so damn flavorful. I’m confident to call it a top tier cookie, one of the best on the east side, and a must get alongside your other Baker’s Bench pastries.

Death & Co.

Huh? A bar selling chocolate chip cookies? Alright, well they’re a good, average cookie. I was hoping for a bit more knowing Death & Co.’s creative cocktail program, but they’re flat, a bit chewy, and just fine overall. The most admirable feature is the good sprinkling of giant salt crystals (perhaps that’s the cocktail influence?). So if you want something sweet to pair with your drinks, it’s passable, but also who care’s when you’ve got drinks.

I’ve got enough stashed for batches ten and eleven, so hopefully I won’t take so long between them…

Batch One

Batch Two

Batch Three

Batch Four

Batch Five

Batch Six

Batch Seven

Batch Eight

13 Likes

Glad you liked Paderia!

1 Like

I’ve always managed to find my way there when I’ve been out on the west side!

Batch Ten

Double digits let’s gooooo

Lei’d Cookies

Lei’d Cookies has been popping up at Smorgasburg on Sundays since the restart, and they have a few variations on the good old chocolate chip. The LA Local is a straight up take on it, which is soft and chewy with edges that are trying to be crisp. The flavor of the dough is quite complex, with notes of coffee and hints of caramel. Best part: it’s thicc and wonderfully undercooked in the center with a big bonus of salt crystals sprinkled on top too.

The Mayan is the same well executed chocolate chip cookie, but has a Mexican flavor profile with added cinnamon and some spicy heat.

Then there’s The Hawaiian. It’s a bit more brittle with a supremely nutty flavor both from the dough and macadamia nuts. There’s not much chocolate (coconut adds just a slight flavor) so I wish it just amounted to more of either one.

Stella Barra

Checking in on one of the cookies that kicked this all off, and yup it’s still massive. It’s a bit crumby and cooked through, but the flavor is on point and actually adds up to a great bite. Stella Barra still delivers

There are of course (somewhat confusingly) two chocolate chip cookie options–I’m guessing the other one is for people sensitive to their sodium intake. The sea salt chocolate chip is the same solid chocolate chip cookie but amped up with a generous dusting of salt. IE: this is the one to get.

Proof via Wax Paper

Picking up a sandwich, I decided to grab a dessert. It’s the same great Proof cookie, but way less fresh, which hurts it a bit. Still better than no cookie though.

Destroyer

Destroyer’s vegan chocolate chip is solid. It’s going that Jordan Khan flair with a dusting of powder on top, and while the flavor is satisfying it doesn’t make me reconsider Baker’s Bench or Fat and Flour as having the top vegan chocolate chip cookies in the game.

Yang’s Kitchen

Yang’s Kitchen may fly under the radar when it comes to chocolate chip cookies, but one thing that I’ve found across all these batches is that restaurants with high standards have just a high floor for ever item on their menu. Yang’s Kitchen is a great example of this, delivering a classic flavor profile that’s cooked through but retains some decent chewiness. It seems a bit effortless in a good way—like the team knows they’re not going to rewrite the book with this cookie, so they’re going to deliver one that satisfyingly meets expectations.

Eataly

Again, maybe not somewhere you’d expect to find a great chocolate chip cookie, but surprise this one is an elite supermarket cookie. There’s a superb brown sugar flavor in the dough, high quality chocolate, and a deceptive chewiness. The edges kind of fail at being crispy, but with such a satisfying bite it’s totally fine that it’s not.

Nice Coffee

Open during the weekdays serving primarily coffee (duh), Nice Coffee also has a small collection of baked goods. Their chocolate chip cookie is light and chewy, with a deep vanilla flavor to the dough. Toss on a good dusting of salt and it adds up to a competent cookie.

Sip ‘n Sonder

Sip 'n Sonder recently opened up at the Music Center downtown (right next to the Walt Disney Concert Hall), and amid a pretty stacked pastry case (check out their biscuits) is a pretty standard chocolate chip cookie with a nicely subtle nuttiness and some killer salt. It’s not very chewy but has a nice crisp edge.

Illy

Maybe I was asking for it because I bought this in an airport because I’m that much of a degenerate but this cookie was just kind of bad. It was stale and probably just left over from the day before, so I shouldn’t judge it too harshly given the time and place. But just go ahead and pass. However, I got a muffin at the same time and they offered to warm that up, so I’m wondering if you could save this cookie by having them warm the cookie too :thinking:

Bottega Louie

I’m always astonished when I’m reminded that Bottega Louie is one of the highest grossing restaurants in America. After taking time off to remodel, they’ve just reopened downtown and among all their other pastries you’ll find a stack of chocolate chip cookies tucked in the corner case. I was actually a bit impressed because it’s just really nice. There’s a good amount of chocolate chunks here, but it’s not too sweet. While just cooked through and not very chewy, but that didn’t diminish my enjoyment of the cookie. There is a nice crispness around the edges, but you don’t get that crisp to molten transition that really kills, adding up to just a pretty competent cookie.

So glad it didn’t take that long between batches :upside_down_face:

Batch One

Batch Two

Batch Three

Batch Four

Batch Five

Batch Six

Batch Seven

Batch Eight

Batch Nine

16 Likes

Met Her At A Bar - La Brea, Mid-City

Good looking cookie, fairly generous amount of choco chips, too cakey and not enough salt for my tastes.

9 Likes

hand modeling on point

4 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly

Thanks. Am I a girl or a boy? :wink:

3 Likes

I had these and they are pretty darn tasty.

1 Like

the met her at a bar cookie looks delicious. I personally hate chocolate chip cookies with too much salt overpowering the chocolatey goodness so I’d probably enjoy that.

the sip n’sander and nice cookies appear to have too much salt imo.

The cookies at both Craft and most recently surprisingly… Mcdonalds! are great.

Yah, I think people definitely have a specific preference when it comes to choco chip cookies. I like thin, chewy, crispy edges, sweet, salty. If you like cake-like, not too salty then this one’s for you.

We had the Craft cookie a long time ago during DineLA week. I don’t remember it specifically but remember liking everything about that meal.

1 Like

Mmm! Chewy is the ONLY way I enjoy my chocolate chip cookies. don’t understand those who like them super hard or too crunchy.

Really just heating up the cookie and having it being served warm and gooey (like Craft does) does most of the work. Another reason why the McDoanld’s cookies work too.

2 Likes

You mean THE ONLY reason…

Hatchet Hall - Culver City

I :hearts: choco chip cookies, but never realized how finicky I am about them… or how many different kinds of baking chocolate there is out there. Until this thread. HH’s are chewy/crispy outside, slightly undercooked inside (too high-temp?), flaky salt is sprinkled on top but not enough salty/savory in batter, the semi-sweet chips have an emphasis on bitter & sugary, not semi-sweet/milk chocolatey with an emphasis on milk chocolate. I thought these were fine. So far, reigning favorite is still Clementine & Tollhouse. :blush:

Milk Jar - Wilshire, Mid-City

I wasn’t a fan of MJ in the early stages - too much baking soda taste and they needed to be left on the counter for a day to get the chewy factor. Things have improved. Loving the Birthday Cookie (not shown) and the Mint Choco Chip. :hearts:

Must say, I’m surprised the mint is my favorite. Good chocolate flavor, not overpowered by mint - flavors, components & texture are quite harmonious. :hearts:

Chocolate Chip Walnut

Can’t remember much about this one, must not have made an impression. MJ is close, so will update…

Happy Choco Chip Cookie Eating!

12 Likes

The cookie from bristoL farms damn good and a relative steal at only 3 bucks

13 Likes

I read all 157 entries and am surprised there’s no mention of the Doubletree Hotel chain’s chocolate chip cookies. They’re my favorite chocolate chip cookie of all-time! Yes, I haven’t lived in the US since 2009 (I live in Japan, now) so I haven’t tried 99% of the cookies listed. The majority look like something I’d really like to try, but I hope that some of the posters here have tried these really delicious cookies. You can find multiple recipes for them online and other than getting them when you stay at one of their hotels, you can buy them online and multiple websites say you can just ask for one at the front desk…even if you aren’t staying at the hotel! (I don’t think I’d have enough courage to do that…)

https://www.doubletreecookies.com/

6 Likes

Doubletree are nice!

But you make a cookie with higher quality flour, butter, sugar, chocolate, and use flaky salt…sorry, Doubletree, you go down in the power rankings.

6 Likes

Agreed. My world famous (at least in my little world) chocolate chip cookies are the Nestle toll house recipe but using the best possible ingredients. And resting the dough, per Jacques Torres.

4 Likes