Chow Fun: LA vs. NY

I’m a native New Yorker currently living in Los Angeles. I’ve noticed several differences in the preparation of dishes at run-of-the-mill Chinese restaurants, among them, the LA version of chow fun tends to consist of noodles similar to what you would in a pad thai but slightly wider, while the NY rendition is usually prepared with an even wider noodle that has a more slippery consistency. The latter, however, seems to be the standard version at restaurants in SGV.

Been wondering why this was the case for a while and figured someone on this board would have an idea.

In Cantonese cuisine, the wider and slightly thicker version is the standard for stir-frying, while the more narrow, but smoother and slightly more chewy, version is typically served in soups. The former is studier but some restaurants prefer the texture of the latter.

8 Likes

Yes, you can buy chow fun noodles in different varieties here–stir fry vs. soup and different width noodles. Chow fun noodles were tweaked probably 40 years ago to create a revolutionary difference. The old style chow fun noodle was harder, a little brittle, and not springy at all. I suspect the arrival of Vietnamese immigrants and the addition of starch to the recipe was the big difference.

1 Like