Chow Mein Sandwich?

Mine too!!!

Then you’d love the potato salad buns at some of the Chinese bakeries.

This is a dying breed.

Best potato salad bun nowadays is at Cathy’s Bakery, and they only make it twice a day. Once they’re gone, they’re gone. Come back tomorrow.

1 Like

I think a chow mein sandwich is something Panda Express Innovation Kitchen should innovate on.

Besides Cathy’s Bakery, there’s a place in Irvine that makes it. Believe it’s Diho Bakery north of the 5 freeway.

85C in DTLA had what looked like a potato salad bun topped with pork sung. Only to discover later that it was egg salad.

And, for what it’s worthy, that 85C location in DTLA does a pretty brisk business in the AM (from opening to about 10 a.m.).

This is one thing that tastes much better when I make it (as opposed to procuring it elsewhere): My homemade Wansei potato salad.

What bread do you use?

King’s Hawaiian salted dinner rolls, lightly toasted, or just plain Hokkaido milk toast.

Considering that there’s so many out of state transplants living in LA, it kind of surprises me that you don’t see a place that serves terrible regional Chinese-American dishes in LA for people nostalgic for their mediocre food memories of home.

But look how hard it is to find highly popular regional dishes in Los Angeles. Like Halal Guys type food until this year, and lobster rolls until a couple of years ago. Can you get scrapple here?

My friends were threatening just last night to have a scrapple vs. goetta brunch.

Belcampo at GCM.

Scrapple and goetta are easy to make. Basically they’re just polenta or oatmeal with sausage mixed in. You can make them from pig parts but that’s more work. There’s a good recipe in Joy of Cooking.

Again, the question was whether you can “get scrapple here [Los Angeles]” not whether scrapple is hard or easy to make.

I mean, after all, a chow mein sandwich isn’t brain surgery (probably not even akin to pulling a hang nail), but can’t be found west of the Mississippi me thinks.

I’m just saying there’s no need to pay Belcampo prices for cornmeal and sausage.

Yelp finds a bunch of places in LA where reviews mentioned scrapple. None for goetta, which isn’t particularly surprising since it’s pretty much just a Cincinnati thin while scrapple is popular in a bunch of eastern states.

There’s something to be said if you’re going to be eating, arguably, some of the dirtiest parts of an animal, might as well opt for an animal sourced from a producer that’s vertically integrated.

1 Like

I buy most of my meat direct from organic farms for less than half what Belcampo charges.

1 Like

Actually the St. Paul sandwich was /is pretty good. We usually found them in Chinese restaurants that were take out only, usually in the more economically depressed areas of St. Louis. Since this was an egg foo young patty between two slices of bread or toast with some brown sauce on it, it worked well as a sandwich. That being said, I wouldn’t make a trip to St. Louis for a chicken St. Paul.

1 Like

In honor of @ipsedixit, here’s homemade yakisoba pan.

4 Likes