Citrin opens on Thursday

1.7k with booze, it’s more expensive than the upper echelon restaurants in Paris

Quintessence in Tokyo: (JPY$24,000 +10% Tax + 10% Service Charge)X2=$538 for two without drinks based on US $1=JPY$108. That’s less than half.

1 Like

Damn, G.

Ala carte only L’Ambroisie… & in €

Well, technically Citrin is in Santa Monica… ::running and ducking::

I tried out Melisse last night. Enjoyed all the dishes, and service was top notch. Nice to have another option on the West side. Few lazy pictures:

Open-ish kitchen with the food out for display.

Truffled egg

Fave dish was probably this uni chawanmushi with caviar. Really nice texture too.

7 Likes

Thanks for the report back @petoketo. How did it compare with your favorite tasting menu places around the city?

gunning for :star2: :star2: :star2:

2 Likes

Love that emoji

My favorite tasting menus I’ve done in LA are Hayato, Somni, and Angler (special menu). I’d put Melisse below these three. Service is definitely top notch though. At times during dinner I found myself thinking this menu is just a bunch of expensive ingredients. The lack of bread from a “French” chef was a little odd too. Would’ve been great to dip some bread in the various sauces. A very similar experience to Urasawa for me, in a sense where once is enough. If we are doing the star thing I’d say 2 stars US standard, Euro standard 1 star.

2 Likes

So much foam.

3 Likes

I found a round trip ticket to Barcelona for less than that. Okay, scratch that since we’re talking French - I found a round trip ticket to Paris for $25 more than that.

2 Likes

Hey, we are pikers in Los Angeles. Apparently the trend in New York is restaurants with initiation fees and annual dues. Sort of like a country club, but you don’t get a pool or golf course. Private Restaurants for New York’s Richest Diners Are on the Rise - Eater NY

In L.A., we can have dinner for a mere $384 a head. Sounding like a bargain.

2 Likes

Nuts. But if people will pay it they’ll keep finding more ways to take it.

I love this woman.

1 Like

One dish with foam is so much foam?

Oh I have no thoughts about that. She just cracks me up.

Went to Citrin (not Melisse) last night, and was quite impressed. Nice dining room, impeccable service, option to order a la carte, delicious food, excellent wine list with many gems. Really lovely dinner.

6 Likes

Thanks! Any idea what corkage is?

I think $50 with two bottle max - but waved when you buy theirs. Since we ordered 2 of theirs and brought one bottle of ours, there was no corkage. Fabulous wine list too.

2 Likes