Cooking yellowtail collar

Just cross-linking b/c there was some great info on the other thread…

3 Likes

my wife just throws the thing into the air fryer for X minutes. makes the house smell like fish though.

1 Like

Does “X” = “10.” Or is “X” just until whenever it looks done?

We have an air fry function on our new range… :slight_smile:

1 Like

“cook to taste”

I have to imagine it depends on the size of the collar.

2 Likes

If you’re doing it for the first time cook it shorter than you think and check it, find the thickest part of the fish near the bony part of the collar and poke it with a fork or chopstick. If u want it cooked through it will flake if you want it slightly less cooked it should still stick to the bones.

1 Like

You could steam it for a couple minutes. Then put it under the broiler for a minute .
I was just given a yellow tail loin from a fisherman.
I’ll cut into steaks . Make a wasabi mayonnaise and coat lightly. Bread with a minimum of panko . Cook a minute on each side . Wanting the center to be rare.

3 Likes

This method has never failed me.

3 Likes

You and @TriTip like the same recipe. :slight_smile: Is the author well-known/popular?

She’s one of my favorite sources for Asian cooking, along with rasamalaysia, maangchi and woksoflife. Comprehensive, uncomplicated and reliable. Justonecookbook is at or near the top of my searches, so I assume she is popular.

4 Likes

for homestyle Japanese cooking Just One Cookbook is a very good source, She’s great.

2 Likes

Yeah, just realized that I really meant, “Are all her recipes pretty good?” but you and @Hungrydrunk knew what I was getting at. :slight_smile:

JOC is good. if you’re interested in home japanese cooking, I highly recommend “washoku” by elizabeth andoh.

JOC’s recipe to do hamachi collar in foil seems so wasteful. use a paaaaan.

1 Like

Had a hamachi collar last night from nijiya, it was great 10 minutes in the broiler about 8 inches away.

Added some sea salt and yuzu soy. Forgot to take pictures, the crinkle tip for aluminum foil from one of the recipes was super helpful. I used to do it on a rack but that doesnt seem necessary and one less thing to wash!

2 Likes