Cost of dining out rising rapidly

What is your value threshold when dining out? The cost of eating out has been rising so fast, it has become and incumbrance rather than a pleasure. Yes, the culinary spectrum has always included a wide variety of price ranges from low end to high end and a market for both. Due to the pandemic, in part, this has been eroded. Go to a local tavern and a burger can cost $20.or more. Meanwhile, cost of dining at upscale restaurants are going thru the stratosphere: for example, a meal at the highly lauded Eleven Madison Park in Manhattan, which recently went vegetarian, can cost hundreds of dining dollars. Have you experienced this? Share your thoughts, please…

The tasting menu at Kato and Mankze were both $195 in late February. They are now both $225 (Kato starting April 1st). I know this because we were planning on going to one but holding off until our anniversary month.

3 Likes

My favorite burger (including fries) has gone up from $16 five years ago to $18 today.

Thow on some extra toppings and cost of a brew these days and you better have your credit card handy…

I think you’ve mentioned before but what burger?

1 Like

About 15 years ago a group of our friends got together and gifted us a dinner at The French Laundry in The Napa Valley. Without tax, tip, or anything beyond the multi-course tasting menu, the price was $275 per person (I’m pretty sure). I just looked on their site and the base meal is now $350. Given the cost rises of other things over that period of time I tend to think that 27% rise is really not that much. OTOH, I suppose that if you can afford to eat there at all the price could be considered a bargain compared to two other menu options they offer now at $500 and $1200 per person.

1 Like

Shit!!! (Is that allowed???)

The French Laundry’s two regular menus are $350 before supplements, same as Benu. Manresa is $325-365, Atelier Crenn $395.

Private parties at TFL are $500 per person before add-ons.

The $1200 menu is a one-night-only special event featuring Miyazaki Wagyu and Regiis Ova Caviar.

There was a time when dining out went from discretionary money to almost necessity. Now, given the costs involved, the reverse is true. I, for one, have cut back on my dining-out dollars, cooking more at home…

I don’t think I know what this means.

We also frequently have leftovers when dining out. So that’s a second meal.

During the 80s-90s, statistics showed that eating out at restaurants had become less of a special occasion and more of a necessity due in part to working families with little time on their hands. Cooking at home steadily declined. Dining out was the more convenient way to go. Now I see this trending in the opposite direction, not just due to the pandemic, but the rising cost…

1 Like

The Habit is very good as far as fast food/fast casual but they’re at a high price point for this category. I think this is actually a pretty good deal. Prices for each individual item
Charburger $5.49
Chargrilled Chix Sandwich $7.49
Fries $2.99
Onion Rings $3.99
Salad $9.19

1 Like

How many grams of fat in half of that?

Asks the man who last night had a cheeseburger, most of a pizza, and french fries for dinner.

1 Like

The latest report from Eater NY will burn your wallet: New York’s Fine Dining Palaces Just Keep Raising Their Prices - Eater NY

“Fine dining” is for suckers. Most of the most interesting food in NYC is not expensive.

1 Like

Does the same hold true on the West Coast?

I would say that Robert’s assertion is true not only in NYC, West Coast but in our experience, certainly in Paris! Much depends on the diner’s demand for or willingness to pay excess for super-luxury products which inform us nothing of the chef’s real talent or passion,. It depends on why one dines out. Is it to feed your body, soul or ego? The latter is insatiable.