Costco finds

My 2¢: The dip… maybe. The chocolate hummus??? Absolutely not!!!

1 Like

The Spanish tapas cured meat 2 pack is leagues better than the Italian one.

https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/Noel-Tapas-De-Espana%2C-6-oz%2C-2-ct.product.100356486.html

3 Likes

I was talking to a product rep from Beemster last year, and he said that Cryovac-ing (as opposed to saran wrap and the like) is actually a pretty good method for storing cheese. Of course, we were talking about hard cheese.

Maybe a newbie question (and def off-topic), but I thought cheeses need to “breathe.” Does Cryovac-ing allow for that breathing?

1 Like

The way it was explained to me, is that Cryovac doesn’t breathe – it’s more for long-term storage, and that once cheese is opened, yes, it needs to breathe. Cheese paper is a good choice (we use parchment, which is similar). Plastic wrap is frowned upon.

2 Likes

Pellegrino 750 ml 15-pack $4.50 off through 7/28

https://www.costco.com/San-Pellegrino-Sparkling-Natural-Mineral-Water-25.3-oz.-15-pack-.product.100383397.html

City of industry

2 Likes

Hmmmm. There might be some things like that in the Irvine or Fountain Valley Costcos but not at the 3 locations in the Deep South Of OC.

1 Like

Oh, fine. Now that it’s no longer available I finally find out what it is/was :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just got a bunch of these as a thank you from a friend -

https://www.costco.com/Imperial-Taste-Multi-Grain-Crispy-Roll%2C-0.35-oz%2C-125-count.product.100437786.html

They are yummy!

Sadly, not nutritionally free (they have egg yolk and palm oil) but they taste like Pirates Booty combined with a rice krispy treat - savory, crunchy and fun.

My favorite cut. I always save that part of the ribeye for last. We always picked some up when they had them.

The Reno store still has them.

1 Like

Run to Reno everyone!!!

We have spare bedrooms :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why are they blade tenderizing a ribeye cap?

I could see doing this to a cut that NEEDS tenderizing but this cut? And it’s prime beef, too.

This is also probably why they are putting a warning to cook to temperature.

I wonder if Costco is doing this to other cuts?

Costco definitely Jaccarded a lot of cuts as of a few years ago. I remember picking up a strip loin and noticing later that it had been blade tenderized. That kind of incensed me so I checked the next few times I picked up meat at various locations and some were blade tenderized and some not. There didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as sometimes the same cuts were treated differently not just within different locations but at different times within the same location.

2 Likes

For those of us who don’t do much cooking, what’s wrong with blade tenderizing? (I was totally unfamiliar with this term until this thread).

I also…or me too :slight_smile:

It’s been quite a while since I’ve done any biology so apologies if I get any terminology wrong but I know the theory is fundamentally correct. Blade tenderizing is fairly effective at tenderizing as you can imagine but many of the pathogens you’d have to worry about with meat exist on the surface area. When a blade tenderizer makes hundreds or even thousands of punches into the meat it increases the risk some pathogens could be punched into the meat and (sort of) increases the surface area in which they can thrive.

TL;DR, it’s sort of the same concerns one can have with ground meat but in the case of decently tender cuts it can introduce unnecessary risk. Even in conventional cooking internal temperatures (say, where the pathogens might have been punched into) take longer to get out of the danger zone than the exterior and increases the risk of contamination.

4 Likes