Costco finds

Right, it’s especially risky in a commercial setting where they’re processing tons of meat all the time and theres a higher potential of cross-contamination exists.

It would be somewhat less risky to use a jaccard and do it at home.

Someone on this board (I’m pretty sure) mentioned how this is being used a lot in Chinese restaurants when fillet isn’t available or to use cheaper cuts of meat in dishes like French style beef tenderloin.

True! I should mention that I do own a jaccard and I’m not averse to using it on cheaper cuts and cooking immediately rather than receiving from the store that way.

1 Like

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/serrano-ham-costco-bay-area-jamon-meat-14551462.php#photo-18478630
Complete with jamonera.

3 Likes

I saw that but don’t have a party planned :frowning:

1 Like

Per the linked article from brisket44 “you can leave one of these out at room temperature for months, so you’ll have plenty of time to practice.”

1 Like

They got these bad boys in the MDR Costco. If it were 15 degrees cooler today one would be in my trunk already but I’m not getting home til late and I’m ambivalent about soaking my interior in a haze of evaporated pig funk.

Not fully opposed, mind you, just ambivalent.

5 Likes

Right just shave some slices every morning

:grin::+1:

Hey, that and a crusty roll and a good cup of coffee? Sounds awesome to me!

3 Likes

Are you going to make the rolls for us???

Sadly, I am not great at crusty rolls. Fluffy yeast rolls? You bet! Hmm… Maybe biscuits?

1 Like

We were in El Corte Ingles in Lisbon some years ago. They were slicing it with a scalpel :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sale on my Yid food.

This is the location in Van Nuys, on Sepulveda.

6 Likes

Man, I’ve been to seven or so Costcos in LA (shopping at at least four of them regularly) and the Van Nuys one is by far my favorite. Interesting selection and so much less crowded than other locations.

2 Likes

WHAT! That’s insane.

2 Likes

Right? One of those things I wish I could stock up on… but my cardiologist would shoot me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But it’s fish. Good for your heart health… omega 3 etc etc

3 Likes

Smoke white fish? One of my favorite things I get to have rarely. Maybe two years since the last time. Not likely to be available here in OC, but I’m sure gonna check.

1 Like

I’ve seen this whitefish at all the Costco locations here in the SFV and Westlake. For years.

Always at the $8.90/lb price. This was a cool deal.

1 Like

How will that fish be prepared?