Covid-19, and how to support the restaurant industry?

You’re probably right about how quickly things can be mobilized. Sometimes my optimism and attempts at positivity get a little out of control. It’s very unfortunate that there’s been such a catastrophic leadership vacuum at our national level during this episode. What else can be said?

Not much more without getting deleted.

FWIW I’m 72 so I don’t know if my perspective is different from those who are decades younger.

I’m already so tired of hearing this and that already. My life will continue to be the same. I do have my secret stores out in the middle of nowhere if it resorts to that . I shop pretty much every day for food . Cheers :wine_glass: Picked up a beautiful locally made 5 lb corned beef today . And I need my wine .

(Ooops, this is actually a reply to Emglow101.)

My life won’t continue to be the same until I can get a bowl of pho tai served piping hot at a sit-down restaurant again.

I’m in the same decade as catholiver, age-wise. I’m supposed to drop dead if I get The Virus, so I’ve been advised by the good folks in Government that I should lock myself in the bathroom and just stay there. Indefinitely.

But I keep moving on as though things were normal, otherwise. As you are.

Cheers!

1 Like

A touch of relevant humor. I wish I could remember where I saw this, but there was a “political cartoon” that made me laugh, last week, maybe the week before.

Anyway, there are three frames. First frame: A couple is sitting in chairs facing the TV. The woman says, “If we’re going to watch the news, I’m going to have to get my glasses”. Second frame: Woman is gone. Third frame: Woman has returned and is sitting in her chair. Holding two glasses of wine, one in each hand.

3 Likes

And you better hope that people don’t start invading your area. We had a trip cancelled and then had considered a month long RV trip but that could have infected others. Then we briefly considered a couple of nights at Black Rock Desert (where Burning Man is ‘held’) but realized we’d have to stop in a small town and could bring the virus in with us. Nobody is safe from this. Promise.

Come to Reno and I’ll cook it for you :slight_smile: But really I want to start getting more involved in my cooking. Maybe cha gio.

I’m ok with it . I have a friend who lives miles and miles away far from the grid . A survilast from way back when . Plenty of food and ammo.

Sorry. You’re fine with what?

I’ll do what I have to do yea its fucked . No I’m not ok with it . And i will survive this shitstorm

1 Like

Unless you get sick and die (sure hope not).

Oh well

Just heard another pronouncement by the “orange goblin’s” right-hand expert, Dr. Falsey (or however it’s spelled):

This is really different from the swine flu pandemic. Right. So stay home and hunker down. Right. And close all of the restaurants in town. Right. Because it’s really different than the swine flu. Right. Because the body count is higher so far. Right.

Point of fact: No new domestic cases in all of mainland China today. Not one. In a country of 1.4 billion people. And that includes Wuhan, with 11 million people.

[Waiting for longer days and more sunshine, with all that virus-killing UV…]

So sayeth the Chinese Government. Glad you believe them, especially since they’re shown themselves to be so credible in the past.

3 Likes

No argument. Point taken.

2 Likes

The problem are the ICU equipment (especially ventilators) which are in high demand and can’t be produced fast enough. Hospital beds can be made available with creative thinking but that doesn’t really help much with out the nit available key equipment.

2 Likes

There is so far very little scientific evidence that hotter weather will slow down Covid-19. And yes China seems to be doing better but they also installed (and still have in place) extrem social distancing- far beyond what we are doing (and much better testing)

1 Like

Right. But (a lot of) people are saying it like it’s true. We have a cruise scheduled for early Sept. with of course no idea if ‘it’ will quiet down in summer and then raise its ugly head in the fall. Our deadline for canceling with return of our deposit is early May so I’ll be looking but probably canceling. Plus we’ve ‘lost’ so much money in the market we really don’t need to be paying for that cruise.

1 Like

We could have been prepared to do that, though if we’d been prepared, we could have done things more like Singapore and Korea, and hospitals wouldn’t be in danger of being overloaded.

US hospitals are ramping up capacity by recruiting health care professionals from elsewhere, erecting tents, and so on, but they’re limited by shortages of gloves, masks, ventilators, test kits, and other essential supplies and equipment.

Meanwhile, back on the topic of supporting the restaurant industry:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/18/crippled-by-coronavirus-restaurants-want-assistance-from-the-same-governments-that-shut-them-down/

1 Like