Covid-19: Ideas and Strategies for Shopping and Cooking

What bags???

Grocery, vegetable bags, etc. I sometimes save some bags to put old stuff in the freezer until trash day.

Oh, I get it. I’m an evil plastic bag user who should be killed by Serial Mom. Not always, Cath! But I forget to bring my bags sometimes.

1 Like

One thing we hit on a couple of years ago when in Seattle (where they first started charging a nickel for a paper bag) is we would just carry everything loose in our cart to the car and then transfer it. PS: We’re far from perfect also. I had wondered if you were talking about bags that,say, Amazon goods come in. So there :slight_smile: xoc

1 Like

Costco’s grocery department sure has a very limited selection compared with their business delivery service.

The only thing they had that I wanted was Wild Planet tuna, so on the 17th I ordered five six-packs to get free shipping. They cancelled four but still gave me free shipping.

1 Like

Gave Instacart another try. Got butter, dashi powder, and creamed corn (for this). They were out of mozzarella, jasmine rice, maple syrup, bread flour, and AP flour, or at least of the ones I ordered. I feel sorry for the gig worker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/03/24/people-are-baking-bread-like-crazy-and-now-were-running-out-of-flour-and-yeast/

Just back from TJs 11AM and their breads were fully stocked. As were almost everything else except paper products and cleaners.

1 Like

Our favorite chef in Reno, Mark Estee, has had to close all five of his restaurants but his one downtown is selling packaged stuff to take out. He’s always done that but has expanded it. Here’s what we bought and left a good tip. Everything is made in house.

4 Likes

I was gonna’ make some pantry food - expired El Torito Corncake mix… but I didn’t have a can of creamed corn! So I made polenta from scratch instead. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Black Folks Shopping. :hearts:

2 Likes

My salivary glands are doing a little dance looking at that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally found some yeast.

1 Like

It’s not hoarding when you have only one of each.

1 Like

P was thrilled… he went to Smart and Final in Culver City and got bread flour and then decided he felt luck and headed to Koreatown and got out usual 10lb AP and the whole wheat!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-LcaU4Fl0r/

4 Likes

I have plenty available. I’m more interested in making my own starter. Nice bag of yeast .Ever make your own starter ?

Anyone been to Ralphs or Vons lately?

I had to go to Ralphs today to get a prescription so I decided to get a few things.

But I noticed that prices were seriously inflated.

Two things that stuck out:

Ralphs Brand Butter is $5.99, that’s a 40% increase over their regular non sale price.

Pork Chops that are $3.49 regular price (though most of the time sold for $2.99) are going for $5.99, 72% price increase.

Chicken prices were about the same.

I assume they are trying to offset the costs of higher than normal labor costs.

i typically buy stuff on sale in bulk and freeze the perishable stuff. last night i defrosted the last salmon head i had in the freezer (at $.99/lb), detached the collar, split the head down the middle and grilled the pieces and drizzled them with yuzu ponzu…

last week, i bought a 5 lb bag of carrots and a lot of cucumbers, onions & cabbage on sale and began quick pickling them in various combinations with dill, garlic & jalapenos/serranos. it helps that i love pickles. they go especially well with sandwiches & rice, among other things.

i’ve chosen to keep ooking-cay for the omeless-hay (i had someone sitting in a pasadena parks/rec truck watching us from across the street this week, presumably to confirm we were observing social distancing, which we did for the most part) but fortunately i’ve been buying things like beans, lentils and rice in bulk whenever it’s on sale. most of the other groups feeding the homeless in pasadena have shut down, so everybody was pretty grateful with pinto beans and rice this week.

the 10 qt electric pressure cooker has figured prominently; a lot of soup this week, with different ingredients being added to the original recipe so it evolved from a vegetable to bean soup to a chili-style soup to a chicken-tortilla soup.

4 Likes

Higher than normal labor costs? They’ve got lines of customers before they even open. What’s offsetting labor costs is the fact that they’re probably making more money than any other industry in the world right now, except maybe medical supplies. Somabitches.