Cyrus - Geyserville

Cyrus, the former two-michelin starred restaurant, finally reopened this past month after being closed for 10 years. I’ve never dined at the original location, but I wanted to give them a chance having read about Chef Douglas Keane’s approach in achieving pay equity, with a minimum pay of at least $65,000 a year, for all full-time employees.

I was also intrigued by Keane’s concept of moving guests around the restaurant throughout the dinner to break up any monotony in sitting around the restaurant for hours. So off I went in snagging a reservation on Tock.

Food: I had high expectations coming in given the accolades of Cyrus’ previous iteration. Did Cyrus 2.0 at least match it? No. To be honest, the food and menu needs a little work. Some dishes really sang…like the perfectly cooked lobster canape…sweet and bouncy flesh contrasted against that super bright sour thai dressing; or that light and velvety cauliflower panna playing as a perfect counterpoint to the brine and sweetness of several tongues of sea urchin; how about the flawlessly cooked al dente risotto? Creamy as can be but bursting with intense red wine flavor. Did I mention how good their desserts are?

But for each delicious bites that we had, we’re reminded of the slightly chewy duck with somewhat flabby skin; steamed buns that were more gummy in texture than fluffy; and a rather pedestrian braised beef final savory course that didn’t leave much of an impression. My other slight criticism is that the pace of the bites presented in the kitchen felt a bit rushed. At one point, 5 canapes including the plate of “crudites” were in front of us, as intended. But facing that many bites, we felt “busy” trying to get through all the food before the next bite potentially dropping at any given moment.

In conclusion, we still had a great time and a very unique experience at Cyrus. I’m hoping that, as Chef Keane’s menu evolves, he’ll serve more substantial dishes in the kitchen and talk us through his style of cooking in place of parading guests with a series of almost canape-sized dishes.

Service: Top notch. Every staff we encountered were warm and personable. They were also able to anticipate every need that we had. Heck, our server even walked us out the door.

This absolutely gorgeous restaurant sits in the middle of a vineyard with a magnificent view.

Upon arrival, we were introduced to our server of the night by maitre’d Nick Peyton then off we went to the first phase of the dinner…bubbles lounge

we were encouraged to explore the property and take in the beautiful scenery

then came the first bites of the evening…canapes

sweet | fig, chorizo

salty | gougere, comte fondue

bitter | charred radish, matcha butter

umami | tomato, parmesan, tartlet

sour | lobster, avocado, thai dressing

After spending 30 mins or so in the lounge, we were shepherded into second phase of dinner…chef’s table.

yup, that is a pacojet on the far left :heart_eyes:

douglas keane - mr sergio himself

“crudite” | umeboshi

gazpacho consomme

uni, cauliflower, sudachi

oyster, ginger, shiso, dashi gelee

kanpachi, sweet potato, passion fruit, poke

shima aji, ice plant, radish, candied kumquat

billi bi, fennel pollen

at this point, we moved on to the final phase of dinner in the connected dining room.

tiny plate…we know what’s coming

saikyo miso butter

steamed buns

foie gras torchon, compressed peach

salt - no explanation was given of why it’s there until we asked: season as your please!

red wine risotto, parmesan froth

wa-gyuto for the next course…possibly 6 inches? Honestly, I had trouble using it. Given the rectangular shape of the duck course’s plate, I could only use the first 2 inches or so, tip side of the knife, to cut my duck. Otherwise, the edge or heel of the knife would be hitting against the edge of plate. Very clunky and difficult to cut through my duck given that the knife wasn’t sharp by any means…

sonoma duck, kosui pear, turnips, hoisin

beef, squash, maitake, umeshu consomme

pretzel bread

aged gouda, pear, mustard

strawberry, lemon verbena, greek yogurt

plum, black sesame, akajiso, kobuto

chamomile tea

Surprise! Just when we thought the night was over, we were brought into this room that was perfumed with an intoxicating chocolate aroma. In fact, part of the back wall is a chocolate fountain with 500 pounds of melted chocolate running 24/7. On the foreground is a spinning pedestal that levitate. Sitting in midair were our parting gifts…2 boxes of house-made chocolate bonbon.

profiteroles
there was an explosion of chocolaty goodness when we bit through the lovely choux pastry

Cyrus
275 CA-128
Geyserville, CA 95441

10 Likes

big-time eating itinerary going on right now!

2 Likes

Are you missing a label for one dish?

Not quite. That tartlet is part of the same course and has the same ingredients. They used a food glue to stick the tartlet beneath the lid of the bowl. When our server opened the lid, he set it down next to the bowl.

Seems like Soleil Ho liked Cyrus’ food much more so than I did. Perhaps the restaurant had enough time to refine their dishes by the time she visited.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/restaurants/article/cyrus-fine-dining-17572226.php

mussel soup that tastes like you’re being smashed with a foamy wave while standing on seaweed-covered rocks

So cold and slippery?

Letting diners wander around the kitchen seems like the worst idea I’ve heard in a while.

There’s nothing “iffy” about Cyrus serving foie gras: it’s illegal. But the enforcement provisions are very weak.

2 Likes

Pipin’ hot and intensely oceanic

1 Like

Yeah, nothing says piping hot like “being smashed by a wave.”

1 Like

I do think of the cold vibe with “being smashed by a wave.” lol definitely won’t stand there to get smashed and will run, possible fall down like a clown because it’s slippery :sweat_smile: