Dan Sung Sa - Oakland

Not much to choose from on a Monday night after 11pm (don’t trust Yelp, Oasis Lounge was closed, Plum Bar closed at 11, and Luka’s kitchen had closed)), so we ended up at Dan Sung Sa, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Somebody on Chowhound a few years back reported ordering plain wings with soy and garlic sauce on the side, and my companion didn’t want spicy food, so that seemed like something to try. Wings stayed nice and crisp. I’m not sure what all was in that dipping sauce (among other things, lemon slices and whole chiles), but soy was a minor element.

Pan-fried udon with seafood was quite good. Nice extra-thick chewy noodles.

I’d been trying for years to get this whole chicken I’d see go by and finally got it by ordering by the Korean name, tong dak. Simply fried, nice with the salt mix. Breast was kind of dry.

I also got a “double feature” soju + kimchi pancake, if you’re going to get soju anyway it’s like getting the pancake for $3. Not bad.

Everything came out scalding hot.

How many hours between meals for it still to count as a bang-bang?

Food last night was better than on any previous visit. Seemed like higher-quality stuff and more attention to detail. Banchan included a good potato and apple salad, dotorimuk (acorn jelly) in a really nice dressing, and excellent nappa kimchi.

seafood udon

“Fully-loaded” fries, good but didn’t make a whole lot of sense given that there were only four of us and we ordered a lot of other things. You want to polish these off while they’re hot.

Tong dak (whole fried chicken), improved pickled jalapeños, honey mustard.

I think the pickled daikon were better than before but still room for improvement there, or maybe it’s supposed to that sweet and I just don’t like it. I learned from a Korean show I’m watching on Netflix that the English word “chicken” means fried chicken in Korean.

huge seafood pancake

We also got corn cheese and an array of drinks. They had the delicious Neoul Bom makegolli I first had at San Ho Won last month.

I’m curious why and when camping-style tin cups replaced ceramic for makegolli bowls. Haven’t been able to find anything about it so far.

1 Like

Excellent makegolli, very refreshing. Is the brand Kook Soog Dang? The check says Wolmae but I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

Tong dak ($22) hit the spot as usual. So did the seafood pancake ($28 in combo with makegolli).