Dark roast coffee

I guess the diary of my previous coffee search, when I was looking for a replacement for my 50-50 mix of Peet’s Blend 101 and Sulawesi-Kalosi, after they went downhill, was on Chowhound. I ended up settling on Trader Joe’s Bay Blend, which they discontinued this spring.

While my age discrimination case wends its way through the courts, I’ve tried a lot of alternatives. I buy whole beans, grind in a burr grinder, use Melitta #4 unbleached filters in a Bonavita coffee maker with an insulated carafe.

I roasted my own for a few years. When I say “dark roast,” I mean past second crack, well into the zone that ignorant fanatical third-wave roasters will say makes all beans taste the same, or is simply burned and undrinkable.

pretty good but not the best:

• supermarket: Peet’s French Roast - second best of all I’ve tried to date
  • supermarket: Peet’s House Blend - passable but not as good as the French Roast
  • Costco: Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Blend - ditto

did not like:

• Amazon: AmazonFresh Go for the Bold
  • Costco: Kirkland Signature Espresso Blend
  • Costco: Kirkland Signature French Roast
  • Costco: San Francisco Bay French Roast
  • Costco(?): Starbucks French Roast
  • Oakland Coffee: Father of All Dark Roasts

not dark roast:

• Costco: Lavazza Tierra Organic Italian Roast
  • Costco: Lavazza Caffé Espresso 100% Premium Arabica
  • Verve Bronson (“our darkest roast”)
2 Likes

The best so far is Into the Black, the darkest roast from Craft Coffee.

If you use the code 845-6rd you’ll get 15% off and I’ll get some free coffee. The site’s kind of weird but if you tell them you like Peet’s French Roast, Into the Black should come up.

They have roasts for all palates, so worth checking out whatever style you like. Price goes down significantly if you order four 12-oz. bags at a time.

1 Like

I used to drink Peet’s every day. It’s good, it definitely has flavor. The Conservatory is another place that has tasty dark roast flavor.

I drank Peet’s for decades, but the quality went downhill to the point that it wasn’t worth the premium price. And some time later they stopped roasting as dark.

Try Pralus chocolate.