December 2016 Weekend Rundown

Forgot photos, but did Maple Block for Christmas Eve.

Brisket (fatty), is better than ever. Just immense smoke, bark, spice, fat, flavor, rather incredible.

Smoked chicken wings were a major hit, need to remember to order far more orders. With the white BBQ and housemade hot sauce they may be the most addictive wings I’ve ever eaten.

Ribs really toothsome, but totally infused with smoke.

Grits with brisket gravy and white cheddar were excellent, solid biscuits, and various other sides.

Banana pudding whipped with peanut butter mousse, bacon, and 'nilla wafers was pretty wild.

Their online ordering system is so incredibly simple I wish more places had such a system in place.

What a meal, and 5 people fed for a mere $220.

It’s nice to have a go-to option for pre-holiday eve dinners that is as good as Maple Block.

I need to keep Sea Harbour in mind though.

2 Likes

thank you for articulating my feelings about third wave coffee, bookwich

1 Like

Too much heavy holiday eating - Trying to lighten things up a bit with the Kayaku Gohan from Sanuki Sandou (Mitsuwa Food Court, Mar Vista)…

6 Likes

That dessert is awesome. When I’m feeling particularly gluttonous I just call that in on my way home from work and pick one up.

I actually think their chicken is their single best item, followed by the ribs. I like the brisket but I am just too partial to jewish brisket to enjoy the Texas stuff.

Interesting. Weirdly enough, my family agrees with you about the chicken, but we’re not Jewish, so the brisket remains the favorite, except for my mother, who prefers the ribs. What is different with Jewish brisket actually? I am not sure I’ve ever had Jewish brisket.

I sort of agree about the chicken, but I am not sure how much of it is the absurdly addictive white BBQ sauce haha

Jewish brisket is more of a braise w/ a tomato based sauce w/ root vegetables—it’s not smoked.

1 Like

Din Tai Fung

New ribs, mehville

Temakira…more meh

ST Patisserie :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Kitakata :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Wish egg was better, my only complaint

Extreme pork close up

10 Likes

That looks like a heart attack inducing amount of pork fat. Possibly related, that looks awesome.

3 Likes

:christmas_tree::heart::christmas_tree:

They do offer a bowl with only 5 pcs of chashu for those who aren’t about dat 12 pc chashu life. :pig2:

3 Likes

Those slices are very thin. I think there’s more pork fat in lots of pork belly dishes. The ramen experience is shockingly light at Kitakata.

Mrs. Knotts!

6 Likes

Rhubarb in the 2nd pic?

Yeah and it still tastes the same as in 1963…

2 Likes

Restaurant Koi (Seal Beach)
Annual holiday sushi lunch with friends…the team and Taka-san always take exceptional care of us. It makes it hard to have fine sushi anywhere else.
Today’s specials board. We would end up consuming most of the items on this board.

Omakase #1 - red snapper, black snapper, Golden Eye snapper, halibut, and kampachi…the black snapper and the kampachi were today’s standouts. Melt in your mouth delicious with subtle tastes of the sea.
Omakase #2 - bluefin tuna, bluefin toro, maguro zuke, bonito, mackerel, sardine…the toro is always amazing, but I’ll have to say that the mackerel here is just first-rate…the bonito and sardine was really rich and gamey-like. First time having both and I would gladly eat them, again.

Omakase #3 - Tasmanian Ocean trout with avocado, sweet ebi with Santa Barbara uni, chopped toro with shiso and SB uni, fried ebi head…so much uni! And so delicious! Bright ocean flavors followed by a delicious fried shrimp head.

Koi Christmas Special - Salmon with snow crab and avocado, Bluefin tuna with scallop and Santa Barbara uni…and a lovely Christmas tree-carved cucumber…everything was melt-in-your-mouth/you-don’t-even-need-to-chew good. Taka-san’s knife skills are exceptional. He carefully carved the cucumber into a shape of a Christmas tree and decorated it with masago to give it the lights effect.

Octopus Sakura-style…charred and super meaty and tender, Matsutake mushroom filled with crab and shiso then fried tempura style, Spicy shashimi salad, albacore nigiri…the most surprising thing was the octopus. It was charred, but the texture was like a very tender filet mignon steak. It was delightful.

Today’s sake was all selected by Taka-san, our sushi chef. The blue bottle was dry and I likened it to a champagne. The other two bottles were on the sweet side with the larger bottle being very floral, and the other bottle being very tropical fruit flavored (think pineapple, passion fruit, mango, papaya). They complimented the meal well.

Forgotten from this were the unagi, notto, and a dish of bonito guts marinated with shoyu and garnished with shiso. Dessert was fantastic sliced pineapple, a dish of ice cream (green tea, red bean, chocolate, and vanilla), and a glass of sparkling yuzu sake with jelly.

Restaurant Koi
600 Pacific Coast Hwy
Seal Beach, CA 90740
(562) 431-1186
Reservations are not accepted for the sushi bar with Taka-san and Daigo-san. You need to arrive at opening to assure yourself of a seat and enough time for an omakase experience.

11 Likes

Char kway teow and kangkung belacan from Simpang Asia:

Simpang Asia
10433 National Blvd #2
Los Angeles, CA 90034

10 Likes

looks delicious!

2 Likes

How was that Char Kway Teow?

I got that place on my list.

Kitakata Ramen is underrated, one of the best in OC

I like it a lot. I always ask for it extra spicy because I like heat in everything. They can be a little stingy with the shrimp, though.
Any suggestions of where else I can get good char kway teow? I tried the one at Penang Malaysian Cuisine in West Covina but I wasn’t a fan of it.

2 Likes

#Jinya - studio city

ebisen - crispy shrimp with herb salt

lobster me happy - tonkotsu broth blended with lobster head juice, shrimp and lobster wontons, crispy brussels sprouts, green onion, seasoned egg
The lobster head was my emotional support animal

toto neorest 700h

8 Likes